1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Manufacturer Variety

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by grovest, Nov 18, 2008.

1. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Let's say you are trying to fill a void on your pedal board.... Do you make a point to select pedals from a variety of different makers on your board, even if maybe three Boss (or Analogman or xyz) stomps happen to have the sounds you like best? I've found myself skipping over options just because I already have a pedal of that brand.

2. No. If a pedal does the job, I get it regardless of brand and "connoisseur desirability".

3. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I definitely don't choose pedals based on their brands. If it sounds good, it sounds good. What I do base pedal decisions on is price. If I can get something that sounds the same as a more expensive pedal (preferably with the same or similar signal path) then I'll easily opt for the cheaper pedal. It's the reason that there's a few reissue and cloned pedals on my board, and that I have had in my possession previously.

4. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    mmm I don't like boss pedals an I really don't know why... any other pedal is welcome in my board

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Is this a joke question?

6. WeightedWings

WeightedWings

Feb 12, 2008
    Actually I know what you mean. In planning out pedal buys, I never for two of the same company and will actively try to avoid it. But when it gets down to actual purchasing, I general go for what I like the sound of. So in my mind when I'm daydreaming about effects pedals and basses or whatever else I might be thinking of the idea of more than one of the same drives me crazy. But I have EHX pedals right now, so I'm obviously fine.

Strangely enough, I have the same problem with mix cds. If I want to listen to two songs by the same artist, or if I want to show someone else these songs, I have to make two cds. So I can't ever just give someone one mix cd, they end up with like 5 at the same time.

Numbers not divisible by three and asymmetrical floor tiling also drive me crazy.

:meh:

7. Heck no!

I'd happily fill a ten story garage with my favourite German car brands and never lament not buying a Volvo!

8. I buy my pedals based on their (brand)names and colors :bag:*coughpink**coughRC*.... :D

Who cares what they sound like!

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Got a touch of the OCD? Good thing your post was #6 ;)

10. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I try to lean the opposite way. I look for prime numbers and asymmetrical or unpredictable patterns. :)

11. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    no offense but this is a pretty uninformed attitude and you are cheating yourself out of some great deals

Admittedly, I have just a PS-3 and an LS-2. Boss pedals don't always do the trick, especially for us bass players, but they shouldn't be discounted entirely.

Think of it this way: would you turn your nose up at a piece of Roland gear without even checking it out first? No? So why do that in the case of Boss?

Indeed. When it comes to pink who cares about looks.

I mean sound, sorry

12. at present i dont have any 2 pedals from the same manufacturer.
    i think im more attracted to pedals themselfs rather than the brand, but if its pink then thats a different story

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    In the past, I had an all Boss board, and an all EHX board, on purpose. I tried to put one together with no 2 of the same brand, but wound up with more than 1 MXR pedal. Makes no sense at all, but I have this fx addiction, though my recovery is in full swing.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021