1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Manufacturer's string winding lengths list

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Nov 17, 2010.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Most of the time when you buy strings for your bass it's pretty easy to get the correct length. If your scale length is 34" then you buy "long scale" strings. Sometimes it's not that easy, though. What if you string through the body? What if your bass is just a little different than most?

I have an Ibanez BTB 4-string that is 35" scale and top-loads into individual bridges. I figured it needed XL strings but those turned out to be too long and I had to sell them at a loss because you generally can't return opened strings.

I'd like to have us compile a list of manufacturer's string winding length (the distance between the ball end and the silk/taper) as a reference. I figure XL's and Long Scale lists should suffice, unless you know of odd scale shorter basses.

XL's
    Sadowsky: 39"
    Ken Smith: 40"

Long Scale
    Sadowsky: 37 1/4" E, 38" other strings.
    Ken Smith: 38"
    DR: 37.5"

Can you add to either list?

2. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    D'Addario Super Long Scale (for 35" scale) 38"
    D'Addario Long Scale (for 34" scale) 36.25"

Circle K Long (for 40"/39" scale) 41.75"
    Circle K Medium (for 37"/36") 38.625"
    Circle K Standard (for 35"/34" scale) 36.75"

To be clear these are the distances from the string-side edge of the ball end to the start of the taper. The above strings have no silk.

Ken Smith (E and B strings for 34" scale) 36.5"
    Some Ken Smith E and B strings have a shorter winding length since 38" is too long for many 34" scale basses: the E and B strings are too thick to wind around the tuner post at full gauge.

3. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Naked Strings (one winding length for 35"/36" and some 34" scales) 38"

4. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    "Please Note
    When fitting Rotosound Bass Strings, be sure that the silked part of the string ONLY is wound around the machine post. If the speaking length of the string is wound around the post, the string may then be prone to breakage. This type of breakage is not covered by our normal warranty.

String Lengths - Ballend to Silk
    Short Scale

Medium Scale

Long Scale

Extra Long Scale

995"

From http://www.rotosound.com/guide_scroll.html