1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Manufacturing Delay: Innovation Strings (Updated)

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Mark Gollihur, Dec 14, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    We are disappointed and sad to announce that Innovation has unexpectedly, and on very short notice, closed their manufacturing facility and will no longer be able to make Innovation Bass Strings. Our shop (and other retailers, I assume) has stock of most of their string sets as of mid-December, but I expect that stock will run out soon now that the word is out.

If you are a big fan of these strings, I strongly suggest that you stock up now, because once they are gone, they are gone.

According to the letter they sent to their dealers, Innovation is currently "looking at alternative options for the Innovation production" -- but I have no idea how successful that will be.

2. bskts247

bskts247 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the notice. I'll be looking for a few sets of the super silvers. Those are great strings.

3. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    We're already out of Super Silvers - I guess you called... :-(

4. bskts247

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Damnit. I'll find somewhere else.

5. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    This is really surprising. The slaps are really the best kind of all-around roots and slap strings out there for a very fair price. We're drifting back to the bad old days of choosing between gut, downtuned solo strings, and supernils/weedwackers, I guess. :(

6. bskts247

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    Yes guys where else are we going to be able to find strings like this. All I can think of is the new Evah slap strings or velvet strings.

cdavisshannon likes this.
  7. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Too bad. Innovation made a good product at a fair price.

Mark Gollihur likes this.
  8. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    That's a shame, I used Innovation Honeys for years (although not any more), really good strings. Their core material did change about 6 years ago, and since then they didn't sounds quite as good to me ear... I hope they find a solution

9. They were on my short list when I got my first DB (which came with corroded no-name rusteels).
    I was hoping to try Innovations at some point. :(

I, too, wish that a solution is reached and Innovation may resume string production.

10. Vertigo Jones

Vertigo Jones

Jun 13, 2013
    ARRRRRRRGH!!!!!!

That is all.

DC Bass and Mark Gollihur like this.
  11. I have two Super-Silvers (G,D) in quite good shape if someone wants them...
    Just PM me.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  12. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    This is bad news. I'm glad I never got hooked on them.

13. Jon Mush

Jon Mush

Jun 3, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB
    I recently got hooked on them. Very bad news indeed. I have a spare set, so I'm good for a bit... They really did seem to fit a unique hole in the market (at least one that lined up with my wallet).

At least I guess I don't have to dip my toe in that massive string pool right away.

14. bskts247

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I'm gonna be buying a plywood bass in the next year and planned to have super silvers on it for the trad gigs I've been playing. Shame.

15. jvgreene

jvgreene

Mar 11, 2014
    N. Alabama
    well poop. I just bought a set of Golden Slaps and I love them. What life span can one expect out of these? I mostly only play on the weekends.

16. peteswanson91

peteswanson91 Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    How are you guys looking on honey g strings?

17. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    'Guess they will become like Red- O-Rays, having a little subcult like underground trading scene....

18. PaperbackRyder

PaperbackRyder Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Maynard, MA
    Will the Presto's be a good alternative?

19. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Dec 27, 2010
    Western AR
    Ain't nothin good about that. What is the closest alternative?

Jake deVilliers likes this.
  20. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Its a real shame that Innovation will cease making strings on December 18th. Their strings filled a hole in the DB string menu and made a lot of players really happy.

I still have stock of Golden Slaps, Silver Slaps, Ultra Blacks, 140H Honey, 140B Braided and a lone orphaned 140H Honey High 'C' string. I also have a set of 140H Honeys that were on my wife's bass for only an hour or so. She liked the sound but didn't like the stiffness.

The Vancouver Long & McQuade will still have some strings in stock, too, though I don't know which sets.

cdavisshannon likes this.