manufacturing problem in warwick Rockbass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by intillectualmin, Oct 17, 2002.

1. intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    im just curious. Since they are made in China, i was wondering if there were any problems with them.
  2. arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    yes i would very much like to know that also
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah there was one manufacturing problem that I know of - they wrote "Rockbass" real big on the headstock. Sounds like a problem to me. :rolleyes:

"Rawk on, dude!"

brad cook
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Yeah, just like when Fender wrote "Jazz bass" all over their stuff. How stupid.

It's just a name, Dig.
  5. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I preferred the feel of the Rockbass stuff over the 'normal' Warwick line... Didn't see any problems with them at all!
  6. HERESY!!...if they're made in China they must be crap:rolleyes:

That was sarcasm by the way:D
  7. China... Korea... Mexico...
    They're all produced on top of the Line CNC Wood Working equipment.

Throw in a block of wood and out pops a finished bass. It's 95% automated with very tight spec.'s.

They just slap on the hardware by hand, set the neck action, have a German guy inspect everything and ship it out.
  8. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    They sound a lot different than warwicks do. They are made about as well as any other Korean, Chinese, etc bass, but the best comparison I found was Ibanez. They are Warwick-shaped, passive, Ibanez basses. Flaw-wise, there weren't any glaring problems. They could use active EQ on models without because they are on "Slap EQ" most of the time, very brittle and tinny, but cutting. No butt at all though. Like Ibanez!

The rockbass logo is quite an eyesore... but electrical tape is cheap and can be cut to fit just about anything.
  9. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    My Rockbass is nothing like an Ibanez, has the same electronics and pickups as the German made ones, and is neither tinny or brittle....and at $415, how can you beat that!?

Its all about the MODEL of Rockbass you buy, and yes, I have gaffer's tape over the gawdy logo!!! LOL!
  10. Hummmm....

Let's see,

A thin piece of Ebony veneer...
    A home made template...
    Razor out a Warwick font W...
    A square of paper thin mother of pearl...
    3M spray mount...

For about $15, you can really impress your friends!
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Sorry man, but the much classier jazz bass logo on Fenders isn't comparable to the gawdy "Rockbass" logo IMO.

brad cook
  12. TheInsider

Oct 8, 2002
    Middle USA
    If you are going with a chinese made bass, the best one I have seen is the Spector. IMO they are far superior to the Warwicks.

If it makes no difference where these are made why all the flaws in the paint? Why the inconsistent necks, the crappy frets, and the crappy electronics. There is a BIG difference in where they are made. You think a Chinese Communist worker is going to pay attention to detail when it makes no difference how good of job they do. Where is the incentive to get that neck put on right. They just mill them out and slap them together. You get what you pay for. Some factories may be better than others but they are all going to be inferior to a Korean, Mexican, Czech, German, or American basses where there is some incentive to get things right.
  13. How's getting draged out into the street and shot for putting on a crooked fret for incentive?

That would sure as hell make me pay attention to detail!!! :p :D
  14. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Unless some company actually builds a factory somewhere (A la Fender Mexico), they usually contract another company to build stuff to their design.
    Enter Cort and Samick.
    These companies provide upwards of 75% of the foreign made instruments available today. Names like Traditional, Carlo Robelli, Bradley, Jay Turser, Raven, etc are all out of the same factory as Schecter, Ibanez, Epiphone, etc. Granted, some are nicer (Skyline, Groove Tools, PRS Santana, ROCKBASS) but that's because the parent company is willing to fork over the dough.

In other words, the guy who makes a Rockbass probably has put together a few ibanezes, epiphones, etc. He just waits for it to come down the line... doesn't matter what logo is on it.
    (And if you don't believe me, check out Cort's lineup of gear... looks a bit familiar here and there, don't it?)
  15. RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    I don't know, if they do a crappy job, won't they get fired? Besides there's no "real" communist country anymore. Chinese workers can make their own wages and control their own businesses etc. I mean there's actually poor people and rich people now there. It's like America as far as the economy thing goes.
    Just wanted to let the public know that communism has been mostly taken care of!;)

P.S. I don't know why I typed this, this isn't contributing to this thread at all really.
  16. BP did an article on the Rockbass a few issues ago, and they rated it very well. I believe they said it was a great buy and a great bass. Read it, you'll like it....I'd trust BP's article and your feel for the Rockbass you try rather than writing them off because of someone's opinion that may never have even played one....
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

A lot of people don't trust Bass Player reviews. There was a big Warwick advert in that issue(there always is) and IIRC there was a separate Rockbass advert as well.
  18. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    there's a big warwick ad in every bass player.

every one i have from feb 96 to june 01 has a warwick ad in the back cover.

the damn magazine is half there's bound to be an ad for something they're reviewing.

they're good basses. trust me. i've played "real" warwicks for a while now and i thought the rockbasses were EXCELLENT for the price or regardless of price. (well, until you start getting into prices where you could pick up used "real" warwicks (around $700 or so)

i think the corvette standard smokes any other bass in that price range as well.