Many Dr.Bass Followers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassin' 'Round, May 17, 2005.

1. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Have looked at a few older threads about Dr.Bass cabs. There was a little bit of talk about them at one time. Then it seems like nothing. Silence.

Have people decided there are just many better alternatives? Maybe there are lots of guys who've got'em & lov'em but they just never post here or on Harmony?

Does anyone here think of Dr.Bass anymore when thinkin' 'bout a new cab? Do you guys who have bought them still think they're good?

Is he even in business anymore? I also used to see his stuff on ebay, but no more. Is Dr.Bass still alive & kickin' or on life support?

Really curious. Anybody wanna comment?
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am still very happy with my Dr. Bass cabs, and I still actively recommend them. Marc is very busy, and has been promising a new website for some time. I have had some private correspondence with Marc, so I can personally attest that he and his company are going strong. They have some very exciting new products in the works, and I do believe we will all be reading a lot more about "Dr. Bass" when these products are officially introduced!

I can also say that there was a period of time (maybe a year ago or so?) where Marc, himself, was laid up with some injuries sustained from a nasty fall, but his company kept chugging on, and he is now back working himself (and has been, I believe, for some time).

Dr. Bass cabs are truly great products, and they offer a lot for the money, IMHO.

3. klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA

Just emailed him the other day...

+1 on all counts!
  4. I bought a Dr.Bass BL1260 from Scotius a few months ago. It's a fine, solid piece of work. Excellent sound, and very compact.

The Dr.Bass cabs are just a bit more expensive than Avatar cabs, to do the obvious comparison, but Marc has been offering really good options with his cabs.. the hard surfacing, three-way cabs, and neos well before Avatar started offering them. Plus, Marc does custom designs upon request.

Even though there hasn't been a lot of discussion of Dr.Bass cabs on Talkbass recently, enough players have found out about them that Marc has all the work he can handle right now.
  5. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Marc is alive n well. Spoke with him the other day while he was working on a Rx2260. Said he would be expanding to a bigger shop in the near future. I've done a bit of research on his outfit and I haven't heard a bad word. Every owner I talked with were more than satisfied with their cabinets. Quality,sound, and price point are all there and of course he doesn't cover his cabs with that nasty beer & smoke soakin rat fur. Oh ya,I'll let you know what I think of the Rx2260 after I've gigged it a couple of times.
    Happy Times,
  6. buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Same story here, I had to wait a month for my new 212 cab, but it was worth the wait. Marc is simply so busy he can't list anything on e-bay or he would never get caught up. I asked him about a couple of "new" ideas and he told me to hang loose til he releases his new stuff "soon!"
    I'm checkin his web-site every couple of days to see when it arrives.
  7. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Are the prices still the same as those listed on his website?
  8. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Anyone have pics of these cabs? I'm interested by them.
  9. I still have my Rx 212 and am very pleased with it. Its been almost a year and I have yet to need anything larger and have used it several times at outdoor and indoor concerts with no PA support. I bought the "lightweight" version (without the neo speakers $$$) and breathe a sigh of relief eveytime I hoist this baby onto stage or into my car.

I wish Marc had more time to PR and get his website updated because I think it would really re-kindle interest in his cabs, but he obviously is as busy as he can take right now.

10. spockrock79

Dec 7, 2004
    i have an rx212, it can be carried with one had and sounds great. marc is a really great guy and has been really busy the past few months but his cabs are most definitely worth the wait...
  11. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    i agree with all previously expressed sentiments.

i have a rx1260 and a rx115, and i may buy another later like a 212. i think i would have to upgrade to accugrooves to make it worth it.
  12. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Hey, i love the airhead idea he has, i wish i would have gotten dr bass instead of avatar, just because of the covering situation. I would rather have tolex than fur.
  13. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I have been talking to marc quite ab it laterly. Infact, him and I have a project in the works, but thats all we can say at this point. It'll definately boost his ratings and he will get alot more notice afterwards. He has mentioned to me about his newest cabinets in design. Apparently they are for the professional musician, and a top quality (1000 dollar range I believe). He mentioned something of the sort about having Victor Whooten and Steve Bailey help with the designs, meaning they are going to be some amazing cabinets! By the way, you didnt hear that from me :)

But yeah, I am planning on trading in my Avatar 212 for a Dr. Bass 212 with a 210 on top. I'm quite excited about it, and have no doubt in my mind what so ever that I'll be really happy with the outcome on these sounds. Avatar is great, but Cr. Bass just seems to offer more, and more is good
  14. He has the new website up and the 2260 looks very cool.I've got a pair of 4 ohm Delta LFs that I'd love to use.I just need to get rid of a cabinet or two.He'll be hearing from me then.
  15. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca

its not tolex. its sprayed on fiberglass (rhinolining). my first gig with the 1260, and someone spilled a beer on it. the guy looked at me like i was going to give him a bass suppository. i just asked him to go to the bar, and get me a bar-rag and another beer (as it was mine he spilled). the fact it was an airhead protected my head too.