Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

many geddy lee questions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patonbass, Mar 15, 2006.

1. patonbass

patonbass

Jul 24, 2005
    minnesota!
    ok, so i have been drooling over the geddy lee jazz for a really long time now, i played one at GC and absolutly loved it. but i have a few questions.
    the first, should i purchase this bass new or used? are they still MIJ?
    the second (set) of questions. i would like to chage a few things cosmetically, i was thinking a Fender 70's cut B/W/B pickguard, along with the addition of pickup and bridge covers to give it that vintage look that i love. I know that i would have to remove the BadAss bridge to add the cover, but instead of a stock bridge, what all fits under that ashtray without moving it from its stock position? does the hipshot vintage model bridge fit?
    [​IMG]
    thanks guys!

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yes they are still CIJ. Buying new/used, that's your call. I bought mine new. to me the extra couple of bucks was worth knowing what the bass has been through. Just something to think about. if you are taking off a BAII bridge, just so you are able to fit ashtrays on (the parts that 90% of players take off anyway) you may be switching bridges for the wrong reasons. The BAII is a fine bridge. IMHO it looks nice, I love the sound of the Geddy and I wouldn't compromise it just so I can hang hunks of aluminum off of the bass.

3. patonbass

patonbass

Jul 24, 2005
    minnesota!
    the BAII is a fine bridge, and i dont mind the looks of it, i have actually installed it on one of my jazz basses. What i dont like about it though, is that i notice a drop off in low end, maybe its just me. I do appreciate the sustain and high end increase, but i like the well rounded and traditional fender tone over the BAII sound.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    All of the above is why I removed the badassII off my Geddy bass! I didn't need the high end increase (GK rig). I am very happy with the stock Fender bridge I put in the badassII's place.

5. patonbass

patonbass

Jul 24, 2005
    minnesota!
    im running GK also, a 700rbII. so would you recommend a stock bridge?

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Give it a try and see how you like it!

7. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea I'm running a GK 800RB.. and I like the BAII on there a lot. But Pyrohr is correct it does affect your low end a bit.