many geddy lee questions...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by patonbass, Mar 15, 2006.

1. patonbass

patonbass

Jul 24, 2005
    minnesota!
    ok, so i have been drooling over the geddy lee jazz for a really long time now, i played one at GC and absolutly loved it. but i have a few questions.
    the first, should i purchase this bass new or used? are they still MIJ?
    the second (set) of questions. i would like to chage a few things cosmetically, i was thinking a Fender 70's cut B/W/B pickguard, along with the addition of pickup and bridge covers to give it that vintage look that i love. I know that i would have to remove the BadAss bridge to add the cover, but instead of a stock bridge, what all fits under that ashtray without moving it from its stock position? does the hipshot vintage model bridge fit?
    [​IMG]
    thanks guys!

2. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yes they are still CIJ. Buying new/used, that's your call. I bought mine new. to me the extra couple of bucks was worth knowing what the bass has been through. Just something to think about. if you are taking off a BAII bridge, just so you are able to fit ashtrays on (the parts that 90% of players take off anyway) you may be switching bridges for the wrong reasons. The BAII is a fine bridge. IMHO it looks nice, I love the sound of the Geddy and I wouldn't compromise it just so I can hang hunks of aluminum off of the bass.

3. patonbass

patonbass

Jul 24, 2005
    minnesota!
    the BAII is a fine bridge, and i dont mind the looks of it, i have actually installed it on one of my jazz basses. What i dont like about it though, is that i notice a drop off in low end, maybe its just me. I do appreciate the sustain and high end increase, but i like the well rounded and traditional fender tone over the BAII sound.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    All of the above is why I removed the badassII off my Geddy bass! I didn't need the high end increase (GK rig). I am very happy with the stock Fender bridge I put in the badassII's place.

5. patonbass

patonbass

Jul 24, 2005
    minnesota!
    im running GK also, a 700rbII. so would you recommend a stock bridge?

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Give it a try and see how you like it!

7. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea I'm running a GK 800RB.. and I like the BAII on there a lot. But Pyrohr is correct it does affect your low end a bit.