1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Many questions!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bass_masta16, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Ok, so I have questions about many things:

1) My friend says that if I have a bolt on neck, that pushing inward on the body and out on the neck won't hurt it; True or
    False?

2) Action; I've always changed my action from the bridge, but lately people have be saying you do it from the truss rod; can anyone supply info on this, like how to do it, and if its true?

3) I want to add tension to my strings, someone said I could do so by doing something to my truss rod; Can anyone explain about that?

People might say "Your an idiot" or something like that.
    Maybe someone can answer these?

Rock on :bassist:
    Bass Masta

2. 1. False. Slap him for that.

2. Action is set from the bridge. The truss rod is for string relief. There's a sticky on the Setup & Repair page that gives the basics about setups.

3. The only way to add tension is to use higher gauge/heavier strings. Stiffness of strings, on the other hand, is different.

3. EclecticElectrk

EclecticElectrk

Aug 26, 2008
    Brooklyn
    the truss rod does relate to action..but dont adjust the rod for action. make sure the neck is straight, and then it goes to the bridge. you've got to raise and lower the saddles with an alan key

4. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    That's about definitive as it gets, well played......well played:)

5. Thanks thanks and more thanks!