1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Many Ray users gone back to a P bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woking Bass, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Woking Bass

Woking Bass Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    In a fit of gas i bought a MM Stringray about 6 months ago. Lots of gigs later and im back on the old 78 P bass. Try as i may, the Ray just doesnt sound as 'full' and at times sounds very 'hard'. Tried all sorts with the 3 band eq - doesnt really do it for me.

I use an Aguilar rig (db680 pre) and wonder if its just a bit of a mismatch?? Ive tried passive and active inputs - still the P gets it.

Not really looking for answers, just wonder who has had similar experiences??

2. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I've gone the opposite way.

I mean, I've been a Stingray (and Bongo now) guy for decades, but I have occasionally been known to play a P.

I bought one last year, thinking what everyone thinks, you know what I mean, "Gotta have a Precision".....played it for two or three days and thought, "Maybe everyone but ME has to have one."

If we were all alike, think how boring dinner would be.

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    You are not alone. There is a reason why Fender still dominates the world.

4. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
    Opposite for me too. The P-bass is a good bass and there is certainly an appeal to it, but I've always been left wanting. There are times when I think I want something more subtle than my Stingray 5, but whenever I hear live recordings of my 'Ray in a mix I'm satisfied.

5. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

There both great basses.

I was using a 1979-Ray, till about 3 years ago.
    Now it all P-bass.

A P-bass with flats is home to me.

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I'm going to sound like a broken record....
    try a 2 band eq Ray.

I've got many P's and Ray's, love what both do. And I find I get more fullness with my 2eq Rays (than a 3eq), especially when using my J, P, and Ray at the same gig.

7. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I switch between the 2. A P cant do the StingRay thing, and the StingRay (at least the single H version) cant quite do the p-bass thing. Although with the right strings/amp/EQ setting it can get close, but not quite.

8. I want to try the 2 band EQ rays, because i dont like where the position of the EQs is, i dont know, just dont like it. So mine is always flat.

To the OP. You might want to try one of the new HH rays, while it isnt exactly that P-bass sound, it isnt too far off, and you can get an amazingly full sound running both pups on full.

9. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I think a P is a great bass for any player to have in their arsenal because they definitely have a place in lots of musical styles. I still love my Stingrays though and could use them for virtually any gig although a good ol' P by your side definitely has its purposes!

If I get a P though it will probably not be a Fender. I really like the newer clones better such as a G&L or a Lakland.

10. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    My old P gets almost all the action,with the occasional change up with a jazz or Sadowsky, but always back to the P. Had a ray for a very short time I just didn't get it at all, and I really tried.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im as big of a music man fan as there is, but believe me, i still love the way a P sounds.

12. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    As I said previously. P's are cool and definitely have their place. I think in a live band setting at high volume, they can get buried in the mix because they are so bass intensive. The Ray cuts through a heavy mix really well. I know a lot of players how use Rays live and P's in the studio because of their nice warm lows. It's all subjective though.

If I could just own a ton of basses I would definitely have at least one P and one J in my arsenal but since I can't have it all, I have to pick what works the best for me in most of the situations I play in. For me, that was the Stingray and Bongo.

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Do they still make 2-band EQ Rays? I may in the early stages of terminal GAS!

14. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes they do. Hard to find, but they can be ordered.

Ideally I'd have a Ray and a Precision... different tools for different times. I love them both.

15. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    You can special order one. I want one, too.

Caca de Kick would find a way to pitch the 2 band Stingray in a thread about your favorite beer. :)

16. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I guess that's where I'm headed, too. I played a P in the early 70's until I started the home/family thing and sold it in '79. 10 years without playing, and when I started up again I got my pre-EB StingRay. I have tried (and owned) several other basses since then but always stuck to my 'Ray as my primary gig axe.

I tried the new P a few weeks ago and fell in love. It has the sound I can't get from my 'Ray. I ordered one and am waiting for delivery. Considering how my main gigs now are in a classic rock band and a blues band, I will for sure switch to the P for my blues band and I might end up playing both in my classic rock band.

I'm still keeping my StingRay, though. NOTHING sounds like a 'Ray, especially a Leo-era 'Ray!

And I'm still keeping my avatar, too.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    When I bought my first GOOD bass, I had saved up for a 1977 Precision that was hanging on the wall with a price tag of $749.99. The day I showed up with the cash, it sold about an hour prior. But they were just hanging up a Stingray for the same price. I bought the 'Ray instead, and always itched for the P. When I had both, I was finally happy with my rig.

18. dgordonhill

dgordonhill

Dec 22, 2006
    Hello I just picked up a 2 band eq stingray for Christmas MY PRESENT TO MYSELF it is different sound then the 3band eq more bottom for sure!!!

19. dgordonhill

dgordonhill

Dec 22, 2006
    plenty of bottom for what ever melts your chesse:blues, rock and roll,old school funk::bassist: METERS/KOOL&THE GANG/MOTOWN IF YOU CAN FIND ONE GETT IT!!!!

20. USAJO

USAJO

Apr 13, 2005
    I have an 89 3 band Ray and a 62 RI P-bass. I think having them both is great. I'll gig with the Ray for a while and then switch to the P-bass. I like the sound of both and I think having them helps me fight G.A.S. I can't see selling either. When I get some extra cash I will pick up another 62 RI Jazz though. Regrettably I sold the one I had. I see those three basses as being all I would ever need or want.........except for maybe this ashtray and thats all. (that never gets old for me)