Maple/Alder Basses???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 21, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yes, its time for that bi-annual thread concerning if you like Maple neck/fingerboard & Alder bodies...

well, do ya? :D

i'm thinkin' of putting together a 5 string in a jazz bass stylie.
  2. I think I have played a few OLP's with that combo, and I'm sure about a few Fenders - sounds good to me. :)
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    this is a nice standard configuration. Well proven tonewoods, which have been used for many years. Maple is a great solid and relatively stable neck material. Alder is great for bodies, very tried and true.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

HomeStar Runner fan? nice...
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I like alder bodies with any kind of neck. My Fender RB5 is alder w/pau ferro over maple. My Modulus Q5 is alder w/composite neck... but it does have a nice quilt maple cap, so there ya go! I'm currently in the process of ordering alder with ebony fingerboard. So, I guess somewhere down the line I'll have to get alder with maple fingerboard...
  6. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My early-70's Jazz bass has an alder body and a bound maple board. This is my main bass, and it just sings. I currently use the stock single coils + an outboard preampo made by John Suhr about 12 years ago, and get a very nice Marcus tone out of it, even though the body's not ash.

I'm having the pickups replaced by DiMarzio UltraJazz this week, and an Aguilar OBP-1 installed onboard, can't wait to play the bass afterwards!

Alder + maple is a good combo, IMO. So is ash + maple... ;)

- Greg