1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Maple/Alder Basses???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 21, 2003.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yes, its time for that bi-annual thread concerning if you like Maple neck/fingerboard & Alder bodies...

well, do ya? :D

i'm thinkin' of putting together a 5 string in a jazz bass stylie.

2. I think I have played a few OLP's with that combo, and I'm sure about a few Fenders - sounds good to me. :)

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    this is a nice standard configuration. Well proven tonewoods, which have been used for many years. Maple is a great solid and relatively stable neck material. Alder is great for bodies, very tried and true.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Tmo,

HomeStar Runner fan? nice...

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I like alder bodies with any kind of neck. My Fender RB5 is alder w/pau ferro over maple. My Modulus Q5 is alder w/composite neck... but it does have a nice quilt maple cap, so there ya go! I'm currently in the process of ordering alder with ebony fingerboard. So, I guess somewhere down the line I'll have to get alder with maple fingerboard...

6. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My early-70's Jazz bass has an alder body and a bound maple board. This is my main bass, and it just sings. I currently use the stock single coils + an outboard preampo made by John Suhr about 12 years ago, and get a very nice Marcus tone out of it, even though the body's not ash.

I'm having the pickups replaced by DiMarzio UltraJazz this week, and an Aguilar OBP-1 installed onboard, can't wait to play the bass afterwards!

Alder + maple is a good combo, IMO. So is ash + maple... ;)

- Greg