Maple and Birdeye Maple Fingerboards.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    What are their differences?Tone and quality wise. Does anyone know?
  2. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    You occasionaly hear a difference in opinion about the two.

But then again you get that with just about anything

You'll have to listen to this yourself to keep away from the confusion of biased opinions

until then check out this site it might shed a little more light but no garaunteed.
  3. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    oops forgot to put in the web site
    Click Here
  4. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I've never heard of anyone claiming any sonic difference between a maple and a birdseye maple's all about the looks.
  5. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Yup that's what I think
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree. I can hear a difference between some woods, but not between maple and birdseye maple. It's all about the looks!
  7. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Thanks for clearing that up guys.
  8. slonlo420

Sep 20, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I can add one other difference between maple and birdseye maple necks. Birdseye maple is not as solid a piece of wood as standard maple and is therefore prone to warping quicker. This is because the "birdseyes" are knots in the wood. A pretty birdseye maple neck is hard to pass up though!
  9. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've owned and tried out a number of Fender basses with plain maple necks. I recently owned a birdseye maple Lakland 55-94. Although there were some tone differences, they were due to bass design, pick ups, and electronics. All of the basses had that maple neck sound. I would opine that the tonal difference is not very perceptible.

My particular Lakland's birdseye maple neck was very stable. It was always near straight, the way I like my necks.