Maple as a Body Wood???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Nov 4, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

so i'm strongly considering adding a Ken Smith MS to my lineup, and in that particular line, maple is the only choice for body wings and center block.

how would the tone compare to mahogany or walnut?

anyone "not" happy w/ their mostly maple Ken Smith?
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Maple tends to be brighter. I like it, it cuts through the mix really nice and isn't heavy.
  3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Although we list only the Maples and Walnut for Wing choices, we also have Avodire', Swamp Ash and Lacewood for Solid body wings as offered in the 'M' series.

'MS' Series;

'M' Series;

I think personally the Maple or Walnut is the better choice for a Neck-Thru but if we have alternatives in stock, you are welcome to it. As far as the Center Block, in a Neck-Thru it is the Neck itself you see running under the Pickups and Bridge of the front of the Bass. On the Back, we laminate a Heel Cap instead of a Center Block like the Bolt-ons have. This is usually either a matching piece of maple or Tiger Maple on the Walnut winged Basses. We have used Avodire’ and other woods as well in the past. As long as we have the required thickness sized piece, we can do it as well. We like to do what is practical though for the balance of woods on the Bass.
  4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX

This is a very true statement. I have a maple body Smith with bolt-on neck. I got it at the time because I wanted a 6 with some snap and attack for slapping. I find it to be very aggressive in the mix. The electronics are excellent!

In the past few months I have been asking myself the question of am I happy with the sound. If I do it again I would get the avoidorie. The Walnut can be a little thick sometimes (I know alotta folks with Smiths!!). I think the maple can get super midrangey sometimes. I liked it in the store, loved the sound for awhile, and now 4 years later, I'm rethinking. As a result, I'm afraid to sell the instrument, because I know It will regret it later.

Admittedly, everytime I play the bass it is a pleasure. One of the highest quality instrument you can buy at any price. The quality is exquisite! It still sounds great everytime I play it and always hear comments on how great it sounds! Listen to Mr. Smith on this one!
  5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've owned one BSR-Pro 6 with a Maple core, and played many others with Maple cores, and compared to the Mahogany, I'd rather have the Mahogany. The Mahogany seems to be a little more balanced tonally. The Maple was nice, but IIRC, their was a bit of mid scoop, or not as much mid prescence as compared to the Mahogany or Walnut cores. I haven't played any of the other bodies, so I wouldn't be able to comment.
  6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I haven't had the opporunity to play a Smith and will not likely get a chance as they aren't sold around here. Though they intrigue me greatly. The maple bodied bass I played was a Godin (3 of them) and it was incredible for a passive.

Good advice about listening to Mr. Smith. My current bass is a mahoganey Cirrus and I have to concur with your assessment - beautiful tone and excellent presence. I still would love to try a Smith though :)
  7. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    I was wondering the same thing for a moment there when I just remembered... I have a maple bodied bass!! I feel pretty stupid right now. But yeah, tonnes of cut and snap, cuts well. I can get a really funky slap sound with it too, and it's a necktrhough, the neck being made of mostly maple and a little mahogany.
  8. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I love the look of maple too. My Warwick fortress mm has a solid flamed maple body. Its beautiful. Looks AND sound wise! :bassist:
  9. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    thx guys,

how about as wings to a neck thru? i'm sorta leaning towards mahogany, but let me know what y'all think.