Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Maple as fretboards

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by boofis, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Hi
    I was wondering with a maple fretboard does it have to have a certain finish or can I use rubbed oil?
    Thanks
    Troy

2. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    I originally coated my fretless maple fingerboard with Formsby's High Gloss Tung Oil/varnish mixture. It worked fine for a while, but wore out quickly with roundwound strings.

I recoated it with a couple of coats of Master Gel (polyurethane gel) and buffed it to a high gloss. Master Gel is really easy to apply (wipe on with a cloth) and adds a nice vintage-style slight yellow color to the fingerboard. I also think that because the final finish is fairly dense, it improves high end resonance on a fretboard.

3. Skips

Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    On some cheap basses (like one I have) the maple is left unfinished, so I'd imagine any type of finish would be an improvement over that. (From what I've heard, completely unfinished maple boards tend to go green and icky after a while.)
    I'll be Scalloping one of my basses with a maple board soon, so I've been wondering what the best finish would be, too.

4. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    You need to finish it with something... :)

5. So, can you use a hand rubbed oil finish?
    Thanks
    Troy

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    If you haven't done a search, give it a go. I know there is recent info about not using lemon oil. Not sure what the conclusion was but I'm thinking the Poly or paste wax.