Maple-boarded Cirrus or Saratoga?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Dec 14, 2003.

1. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I really want something nice for playing "the f word" (Fusion) with a maple fretboard...approx $1500 limit methinks. Used isn't outside the realm of consideration...but right now I'm evaluating what can be had new.

I think I've got it narrowed down to a Saratoga 5 (Ko-rean, but it looks pretty nice and manages to retain the J vibe...which is a plus) and a maple fretboarded Cirrus 5 or 6, depending on what's available. My inclination here is to focus on a hunt for the Cirri, but I thought I'd give Saratoga players a chance to persuade.

Has any one tried the maple-boarded Cirri? Comparison to the pau-ferro models?

I know you can find the rare F-bass or Roscoe in this price range, both of which are probably right up my alley, but I'm thinking 'bout the above at the moment.

I also know there are a ton of other basses out there for approximately the same price, but these two appeal to my sense of aesthetics...

2. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I've never seen a Cirrus with a maple fingerboard. I didn't know there was such a thing. Is there?
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

They were introduced in 2002 and were briefly on the Peavey webpage before they screwed it up.

I have never seen one in person.
  4. BAM!

(Edit: SOMEBODY seems unusually interested in Cirrus basses lately... Mgood: traitorous Carvinite? :eek: :D )
  5. I'd go for the cirrus. I have a cirrus 5 and love it. I have played a a cirrus with a maple board and thought it was good. didn't sound much different from the other ones, except for the mahogany. I ended up getting a alder/maple body with pauo ferro board.
  6. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    i played a maple fretboard cirrus 6 string in a store once, and i liked it better than my bubinga/pauferro 5 that i used to have.
    so definitely thumbs up on that one.

i've never played a saratoga, but based on my experience with MTD heirs and kingstons, i'd love to try one, i'm sure it's a great bass,

but if I had to choose between my beloved korean MTD and a cirrus 6, i'd definitely go with the cirrus. (and fusion is my favorite style to play)

but if you like the "j" vibe, then the saratoga would definitely serve you better.
  7. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I never said Carvin was the only outfit that makes good basses. Yeah, I've been interested in Cirrus since Jeff (embellisher) suggested I go check them out a couple years ago. They are some fine, fine basses.
  8. You really should take the neck "feel" into consideration. I've played both (actually a Grendel (its brother) instead of a Saratoga) and neck width and string spacing where on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Based on that alone, I personally would choose the Saratoga but that's me 'cause I like the feel of a wide neck (nicer feel for my hand) and lots of space between strings (I like to slap). Of course, you'll need to make your own decision based on your own preference.

Both are great sounding basses and would fit into your music pursuits.