1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Maple body Cort Curbow. 41,42&51,52.What ever happened to them?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gebass6, Mar 2, 2018.

1. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    They were announced to be released back in 2012.

The Curbow 41.42.51 and 52.
    Four string and five.One pickup and two.
    With a soft Maple body.Not Luthite.

And then they disappeared.

What happened?
    Anybody have one?
    Bass Review - For Bassist : Cort Curbow52

Cort Curbow 42
    Curbow wneqai1mjsbuhz3qi3mg.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  2. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    tumbleweed.

3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    gebass6 likes this.
  4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I have the luthite Curbow bass, really love the compact body and size however the wooden version addresses most if not all of the shortcomings of it :- better body, two pickups (Barts), Bart electronics- so I would imagine it's a pretty decent bass. I'd buy it if I didn't have too many basses as it is.
    Specifications:
    • CONSTRUCTION: Bolt-on
    • BODY: Soft Maple
    • NECK: 3pc Canadian Hard Maple
    • BINDING: N/A
    • FRETBOARD: Rosewood, 15 3/4" Radius(400mm)
    • FRETS: 24 / Large (2.7mm)
    • SCALE: 34" (864mm)
    • INLAY: N/A
    • TUNERS: Die cast
    • BRIDGE: EB10(4)
    • PICKUPS: Bartolini MK1-4
    • ELECTRONICS: Bartolini MK-1 EQ w/ EQ on-off switch
    • HARDWARE: PT (Platinum)
    • STRINGS: D'addario EXL165(105-045)
    • COLOR: Brown Sunburst

5. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Yeah.I've had two luthite Curbows in the past.
    They are impossible to upgrade the pickups and electronics.
    The bodies are too thin!
    There's no indication that these ones bodies are thicker.

6. Marvinb2

Marvinb2

May 26, 2012
    I have the sunburst cort Curbow 52. Love it. Also recently picked up the Retro 4, and waiting on a burlwood luthite 4 string to arrive. My question is I have seen two specs on the Bart pu. One states that it is passive pu connected to an active preamp/slap switch. The other says it's an active Bart connected to an active preamp/slap switch. Anyone know which one is true?

7. gebass6

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    It's the first definition.Unless the pickup has it's own battery separate from the preamp's battery,the pickup is passive.

8. Marvinb2

Marvinb2

May 26, 2012
    Ok. I was just wondering if there were 2 different configurations manufactured, or what. Thx.

9. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    cool, but to specify, do you have a 52 or THE 52 in question?
    either way, please tell me what I'm missing. somebody snagged the 42 I'd hoped to recoup my loss on as well...
    AND, since you're also in rare air as a fellow Retro owner I'd love to hear your thots on it. I dig mine!
    what color scheme did you get?

10. Marvinb2

Marvinb2

May 26, 2012
    Yes, I have The 52! I snagged mine back when they were still in production. It's looks like the one pictured above but the 5 string version. That's my baby... It comes out anytime I play any pop, r&b or jazz.
    Retro:
    Since my band plays a lot of blues, classic rock & Motown I have been using the Retro. Something about those curbows that just feel right when you strap it on. The Retro has a nice punchy tone. I usually roll the tone just left of the notch and that sucker roars. I'm playing thru 450watt tc electronics head with an 1000 watt Eden Neo cab. The drummer remarked at rehearsal he love the sound of that bass.
    Mine is the sunburst... Funny I didn't even know about this Retro couple months ago. Saw a thread of some folks talking about it. Low and behold I ran across one online in a pawn shop. I took a chance ordered it. When it came it was kinda dusty, dull action lower than I prefer. I almost sent it back. Well I cleaned, polished it up, raised the action, checked the neck. It's gorgeous now. Not real crazy about the big ass pickguard, but playing that baby is smooth.
    So I'm rounding out the collection with a burlwood luthite body 4 string. Should be here tomorrow afternoon sometime. Then I'm done...(for now)

Bass V likes this.
  11. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    very cool!
    maybe another TBer has the 52 I missed out on, or the 42 that escaped.
    I'm intrigued that (like me!) you're going for a selection of Cort Curbows. beyond the low B how does your 52 differ from the Retro? is it that different of an animal on the EADG? I use DADG and my burst Retro has that wonderful active low end boom but even with the bass knob completely rolled off I find great usable tones with just enuf treble, it covers a bunch of musical ground. I'm not into tons of high end but there's sufficient headroom, nor am I set up for real stage work and can only imagine how it sounds live! that you're so pleased pumping it hard is a hellova endorsement.
    even the pickguard has grown on me since I fell in love with the bass and the acreage will be handy if I mod for dummy coil or another PU etc. to kill the hum, maybe even a muddy in the mid, plus it'll make all that space look proper. I'd hate to think the pg is what disuades buyers from considering these petite inexpensive killers, they should be hot items.
    I'm stoked to know a serious player is crazy about what Cort did with these Curbows, rock'em!

12. Marvinb2

Marvinb2

May 26, 2012
    The difference between the two are the necks of course. 52 neck is "Fuller". But not bad for a fiver. Sorta like a Fender Jazz to me at least. The wood body and the carvings make it look and feel more premium. Soundwise I actually prefer the Retro. It's more punchy and in your face, controls are simple and dial up the sound quicker. And it seems suited better for the blues and classic rock we play. When I play pop music like Bruno Mars, Pink or Timberlake that's where the 52 shines. It's meaty and the eq is smoother across the bandwidth. You know how Retro tone kinda quickly changes once you get on either side of the notch. The 52 is smoother and has more dynamics. It obviously has a better preamp.
    I'm surprised the retro was not promoted more.
    For the money, Cort builds some decent guitars. I read some where they make a lot of guitars for other big name companies and then they slap their name on it.

Bass V likes this.
  13. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    My warmoth gecko 6 has an active SD basslines pickup/2band active preamp and there's just one 9 volt battery in the control cavity of the bass. Works just fine, sounds pretty awesome too.
    PS. my '00 ebmm stingray bass on the pic below (2 band version) has a passive pickup.
    IMG_20180309_211144.

14. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I like whatever the Retro's wiring scheme is but I always hope to improve that aspect on all my basses. my thinking re the Curbow 5er's neck was just as you mentioned, they'd be more manageable than most others, plus I prefer a substantial grip, glad to know I wasn't off there! the Retro neck is indeed in the J vein and somewhat similar to my Toby, very slim yet comfortable, in fact overall they parallel each other in many ways beyond the connections between a great luthier and a fine corporate factory. a superb marriage. Cort has been steadily improving over the decades and are now virtually right there with the best production basses available, even my old Cort P/J mystery tanker is pretty special. thanx for the fine input regarding both of these basses, I can't wait to add more quality to the collection, I know you'll be enjoying yours!