Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Maple Facings and Extra's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZenBass, May 13, 2004.

1. So here we are

Its wood chooosing time..!!!!!.....

After goin mad for Buckeye Burl and falling for Ambonia...I think that still Maple is one of the best facings you can get....but which maple are the best

Quilt
    Tiger Strip
    Flamed
    Burl
    Birdseye.....

Or is there some very rare out there that ius eqaully as yummie..!!!!

I am thinkin defo with maple facings u need a nice birdeye maple fingerboard...I am thinkin this...but with ebony inlays (not block) and binding...with all black hardware....

Here are some fine examples

Birdseye Maple Facing and Neck on a Ritter

[​IMG]

Burl Maple on a Sei

[​IMG]

both look great.!!!

Will be goin on either a Roscoe or a Shuker Bolt-on

So0o any examples oF great but unusual Maple would be wo0op..!!! would prefer actual pics as aposed to webshots ...hehe

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Ritters have some great quilt or flame tops, that would be my vote over swamp ash. Birds eye would work well with that combo. Best of luck in picking your bass specs.

3. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    take a look at the Ritter reviewed in this month's Bass Player magazine. 5A quilt top on 5A flame body. That was NICE! I personally thing good quality quilt of flame maple can't be beat. I would do bookmatched front and back, though.