1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Maple Fender necks with darker frets

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by grumpyjfc, Apr 18, 2010.

1. grumpyjfc

grumpyjfc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Mount Pleasant SC
    Last week I found an 83 P bass in a pawn shop, black/maple. I got it for $600.00 partly because I had some hesitations about the neck which I apparently made a convincing argument for in the store. One of these concerns was the fretboard between the 6th & 7th fret which was a darker color than the rest of the board. I noticed right before I made my offer that I was able to scrape the coloring off with the edge of my fingernail, which made me realize that this wasn't a repair like I had first thought.

Since then, I've noticed a few 70's and 80's fender basses listed for sale, or otherwise photographed on the internet, with single spaces, or entire segments of the fretboard different colors. I ran across one on ebay that was colored from the nut all the way up to the 7th fret. Check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Jazz-Bas...QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3a59f39284

Anybody have any idea what this is?

2. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    I don't see what your talking about. Sounds like your bass just had some frets that needed cleaned.

3. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    I do see some reflection off the frets.

4. top coat peeling off between frets? OP is not talking about the fretwire itself but the actual wood between

5. grumpyjfc

grumpyjfc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Mount Pleasant SC
    Not the fretwire, the maple between the frets.

6. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    Ohh gotcha. Sorry!

Sounds like you scored a sweet deal! I've had that probem with a lot of vintage basses. My Grabber and Ripper are probably the biggest offenders.

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I was about to say that bass in the auction is an 80-82 not a 78 but then I remembered that's not your question :D. Probably just the clear coat flaking off. My 78 jazz has some chipping starting, but it's no where near as bad as this. Someone may have gotten a little rough when cleaning the frets and it started peeling and they just took it all off, who knows.