Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Maple fingerboard, inlays or not? Pics needed!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CoolHat, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Alrighty then, I am officially inches away from placing an order on a custom Sandberg. However, I have still few decisions to make before I pull the trigger.

The basic wood/color combination will be pretty similar to this one:
    [​IMG]
    5 strings, Ash body with blueburst finish, white pickguard and maple . But I am having hard time with the inlays. Blocks or dots, black or white? Or perhaps no inlays at all?

Here´s where you TBers come in. I know you all just LOVE to show your basses, so let´s see those maple boards with all kinds of inlays. Of course J-style and blue basses are of particular interest to me, but feel free to post any kind of axe, as long it has maple FB. Yes, I´ve seen the Geddy, but what the heck, post them anyway. All opinions and insight are also appreciated (although probably ignored;))

And BTW, I am also thinkin about getting a custom inlay at 12th fret - nothing fancy, just a simple monogram or symbol. So I would love to see your custom inlays (just for inspiration, I won´t copy them), even on non-maple FBs.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Never mind the bizzare looking body. This is what a lined fretless maple neck looks like with no front dots.
    [​IMG]

3. Easier said than done :eek: But hey, I´m all for unique finishes!

Anyway, very nice, subtle figure on that FB. Thanks!

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Personally if you want something subtle, I'd go with white dots or blocks. Personally, I use the markers visually, so they're a must for me.

5. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    I love the contour of the headstock

6. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    No Pics unfortunately..

But I'm a fan of black block inlays in "fender style" maple necks.

SM

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  8. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    I like the look of black blocks for inlays on maple Fender necks, but that bass may not look so great with blocks. Dots or nothing would be better on your bass.

9. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I have no pics, but I think that blue body and black blocks would be incongruous from a color scheme standpoint. Pearl or white block inlays look very good with blue body instrument.

10. Plain maple for me :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/JasonFan/MyGear/5ed79858.jpg

[copy / paste the link - my bandwidth for linking is all used up for this month :(]

11. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    Here's my custom 12th fret crusader logo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I don't like dots much personally. Both my basses have them though. doh!

If you're keeping the white PG, I'd say go with white blocks or naked. black blocks wouldn't look so good on there if you ask me.

13. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    I wasn't feeling particularly advanced when I ordered mine so I got the dummy dots ;)

A good birdseye maple board looks fantastic with no inlays on it!

Here's mine with the dots...
    [​IMG]

14. [​IMG]

Maple fingerboards with inlays look quite good I think.

I prefer my ebony/black fingerboards to be inlay-less.

15. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i would go with inlays. i think dark fingerboards look nice without them, but i think lighter boards could use some color.

16. Thanks everyone for the words and pics, keep´em coming!

Rick_no7, that blonde Thumb is gorgeous!

tbone0813, beautiful inlay you got there. Christianity does provide many great emblems, unfortunately the faith itself isn´t my thing.

Now, I did some quick photoshopping to see what black block inlays would look like. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

17. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Side dots are for the player.

Face dots are for.....who the hell are they for anyway?