1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Maple Fingerboard On A Wenge Neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by xsogol, Apr 1, 2006.

1. - Can a maple fingerboard be attached to a wenge neck?
    - How hard is it to attach a maple fingerboard to a wenge neck (i.e. is it more/less/or equally hard to attach maple to wenge as ebony or rosewood?)
    - Is it a bad idea to pair a wenge neck with a maple fingerboard (I never see it done, so I figure there might be a reason)? Has this ever been done?

Thanks everyone!

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I don't see any reason why you would not be able to.

3. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    I asked someone at Warmoth about this, and they said that they haven't had good luck paring these two. I wasn't given any info beyond that though.

4. I'm very curious as to why this isn't done...I like the color contrast of a rosewood fb on a maple neck, why not reverse the contrast?

I figured there must be some sort of physical reason for this...Warmoth told me the same thing too, but I'm curious what makes the maple different from ebony or rosewood in this regard.

5. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I've just recently glued a maple body to a wenge neck. The joint seems to be holding up perfectly fine. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

6. VaantCustom

VaantCustom

Feb 5, 2006
    Canada
    There's no reason why you can't glue them together. They both glue easily. Maybe warmoth meant that they haven't had any luck selling necks like that?

7. They made it sound like wenge and maple do not glue together easily...here's the quote in a recent e-mail from Dan A. at Warmoth:

"wenge doesn’t accept glue very well"

I'm curious why they would say thay. :eyebrow:

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Doesn't make much sense at all, since there are tons of Maple necks with wenge boards or stringers.

9. My thought exactly...that's why I figured I'd bring it up with the luthier's corner folks. I thought that because one never sees wenge necks with maple fbs, that there's a reason for it...I guess it's just because it's not a popular idea :rolleyes:

I'm very seriously thinking of trying this combo now, just to fly in the face of conventionality...

10. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    Wenge accepts glue just fine I never had any trouble with it. As a matter of fact I had to remove a fingerboard from a wenge neck and It was hell.

11. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I've had no trouble gluing wenge to maple, bubinga, padauk, white limba or lacewood. I've seen tons of maple necks with wenge fingerboards, so there's no reason that the reverse won't work.

12. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    yeah my most recent build is a wenge/maple/bubinga neck thru and the glue joint is nice and strong, there shouldn't be any issues as long as it is done well. I wonder what kind of glue warmoth is using if it doesnt work well on wenge? I perosnally use titebond II.

13. VaantCustom

VaantCustom

Feb 5, 2006
    Canada
    Yes, if Warmoth uses elmer's white for their necks, perhaps they should be cheaper.
    I glued 5/8" thick pieces of wenge to the sides of a wenge headstock w/ titebond 2 awhile back to widen the headstock, and the bond is still as solid as expected. And that's a LOT less surface area than a fretboard.

14. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    Works fine with LMI instrument makers glue too.

Here's Wenge w/ Cocabola fretboard....I know it's guitar but technically...

Picture046.

ebay007.

15. VaantCustom

VaantCustom

Feb 5, 2006
    Canada
    There you go, and cocobolo is like glueing a fish.
    Gorgeous guitars BTW!!

16. Even a all wenge neck is a wenge fingerboard glued to a wenge neck. Plus the scarf joint is a wenge headstock glued to the wenge neck. So, if wenge doesn't glue up well, why would they do an all wenge neck?

17. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Sorry about this bit of misinformation...

We CAN do this, we just don't LIKE to do this, and generally won't take an order for it because:

1) Maple must be finished to be covered by our warranty, but wenge does not and is especially problematic to finish. It's also a crying shame to finish wenge 'cause it feels so good raw. Since we won't finish just the fingerboard, you see our dilemma.

2) The combination of a maple fingerboard on a darker exotic wood neck is SO unusual (for us) that we don't want to take the risk of getting stuck with something we can't sell in the event something goes wrong. We hardly ever make necks like this, so there's a good change the person ordering it has never seen one and won't like it when they get it, or that we'll make a mistake during production.

Basically it comes down to economics for us, but there's nothing structually wrong with making a neck like this.

Hope this clears thing up!

18. This makes much more sense. Thanks Brian!

19. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I've got a Benavente neck coming with a maple neck with a Wenge fingerboard. I don't see why the oppsite wouldn't work.