maple fingerboard

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Im in the situation of possibly getting me a eub, but thing is it has a maple fingerboard. He tells me that most fingerboards are dyed maple and was told that most kays and engleharts are like that.Im new and just dont want to get a bass that will be torn down in a year of playing.
  2. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

what's the name on the eub? most englehardts these days have either rosewood or ebony and says right out which fingerboard is on there. i doubt they'd use maple.
  3. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Im looking at getting one made by wish and what I was written is what I was told. How well would a maple board hold up?
  4. ArenW

Jan 14, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ive got an unmentionable Chinese bass -"Complete, With Exploding Top!!!" that has a dyed maple finger board that, prior the top problems, was pretty bad- almost playable, at best. I wouldnt recommend one, but I had a problem with bad workmanship and cheap materials. I would think that, maple, being a softer wood than ebony or rosewood, wouldnt hold up nearly as long and would cost you more in the long run by having to take it to a luthier for replaning. Im not familiar with Wish and they may be alright though. Good luck.
  5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I think most knowledgable players here would advise against buying a Wish bass, and the board wood has little to do with it. Wishnevsky is not a serious instrument builder, with little knowledge of what it takes to make a functional instrument. They're curiosities.

You'd be much better served to save a little more money for an Englehardt or equivalent.
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I wouldn't go so far as mchildree about Wish. No, his instruments aren't of great craftsmenship by any means. You'll find a lot more people familiar with Wish basses on the BG side of the boards. The gluing is usually pretty sloppy (there are often blobs on the side of the fingerboard, or so I've heard from many buyers), and the pickup routing is often, frankly, piss-poor. But you get what you pay for -- a Wish custom often runs $50 less than the list price of a MIM Fender Jazz bass. However, all of those reports are a little old, and in the past few months, I've heard he's been doing a LOT better with his more recent instruments. I wouldn't reccomend a Wish right now at all, but eventually, within a few years, his instruments might meet much more acceptable standards. Like mchildree, I'm gonna reccomend saving up and buying a better bass.
  7. Isn't a Wish bass the kind of bass where you have 4 strings and you wish you had some bass? :D
  8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Baw, baw, baw !!!
  9. I couldn't resist, hope no offense was taken. :D
  10. I have no idea what the hell a Wish bass is....This being a DOUBLE BASS Forum.......I'd say get a real double'll be glad you did.
  11. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hehe Paul you're the best!
  12. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I won't comment on Wish's basses, but I will add my .02 over maple fingerboards.

If it is truly one of the harder species of maple, it can do a fine job.

We put a hard maple fingerboard on the donated Kay we (Dad and I) restored in 1966, one that was removed from a broken off Kay neck we cannibalized. I gigged that bass continually and played it in high school, then college, for nearly 20 years until around 1985, when I replaced it with an ebony one. Obviously, I sent some time with it periodically to renew the surface and repaint it (we used an epoxy paint, not something I'd recommend today).

Just be prepared to restain as needed. The black leather dye that Stewart Macdonald and others provide as fingerboard dye does a fine job on maple as well as streaked ebony.
  13. No offence, Bob, but my experience was very different. Years ago I had a 50's vintage Kay C-1 with a maple board. Golden Spiral A and E strings quickly wore ruts in the board in the most common playing positions. Even the nylon-wound G and D ate into the board after a while. Very soft for maple. Guess it's difficult to tell how hard or soft it is by looking at it. (I don't even like maple board with frets in them.)

Livepauper, if you gotta buy the EUB with the maple board, I'd suggest negotiating the price with consideration for the cost of a board upgrade.