Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

maple fingerboards used for fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stupidnick, May 21, 2002.

1. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    this summer im getting prolly 2 basses both fretless
    and i might already have one.. being that its being given to me. .but ima build one.. like a warmoth..
    i was wondering if a maple neck with a maple fingerboard would be good for fretless..
    would it? like unlined but with position markers on the side and fret dots on it
    i was thinking like a jazz bass neck with a p bass body and painted lake placid blue.. like a fretless version of the steve harris p bass with maple neck and everything
    would this work yall? thanks

another thing.. if i wanted a fretles version that bad
    would it just make sence more buying a steve harris p bass and change the neck to a jazz fretless neck with the maple fretboard.. and change the tuners to schaller tuners... the black ones.. would it be cheaper than building the whole damn thing?
    thanks .. sorry if i ask to many questions

2. No, maple is not a good fretless board material especially if you want to use roundwounds. Fender did make some fretless P-basses with poly coated maple boards but you would be way happier (and get more growl) with something harder like ebony.

-Chris

3. Nick. I have had this Fender since 77 and I havn't had any problem with the maple yet.. I always use flats. It does have a good thick factory coating on it. Maple boards seem to have brighter sound than rosewood. Ebony is the best by far...

4. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I second the flats...maple is bright and brittle sounding, ebony is dark and bassy, and rosewood is a happy medium.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually, ebony is quite a bit brighter sounding than rosewood, almost as bright as maple, but with the warmth of rosewood.