maple fretboard darkening

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by etherbass, Oct 5, 2004.

1. etherbass

May 24, 2004
    hey this may be a wierd question but is there anyway to speed up the aging process on my maple fretboard? i love the look of the older maple fretboards... mine is fairly new and bright... dark is nice
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    play it a lot with dirty hands? :confused:
  3. Diowulf

Diowulf Guest

Aug 4, 2004
    San Rafael CA
    I thought someone else had a problem saying that they thought smoking was causing their maple neck color to change. Maybe you should start smoking?
  4. Never change your strings, and play with dirty hands.

Did I mention this process could take about 10-30 years?
  5. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    You cna try refinishignit with honey color Varnish.
  6. timibud

Aug 29, 2004
    I'd say some used motor oil should do the trick, say after you pass 4,000 miles! :p
  7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Nicotine yellows everything, not just maple.
  8. etherbass

May 24, 2004
    hahhaa ok i get the point... thats cool.. just was wondering if there was a a way...thanks
  9. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Thre is another method, you'll need to drink few beers and wait a little, after that, well you know what to do.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Throw up?
  11. Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Dec 30, 2001
    Boston MA
    Id get some wood stainer, Im getting a black Ernie Ball stingray with maple, and its like bright white and Im getting some for it cause I cant stand how imaculate it looks.
  12. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    this kid in my class got a squier bronco bass with a maple neck like 2 years ago abd it is the most disgusting bass neck i have ever seen. it isnt like the dark black of dirt and stuff, but its likt he scarfed down two pizzas but before eating them, he rubbed the sauce and grease on the neck. ewww...... i dont even want to touch it.
  13. Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Tung oil will yellow it up a bit. But not sure how well it penetrates other coatings (probably not so well).
  14. rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    No the other way, the yellow stuff.