Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

maple fretboard maintenance?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gabu, Apr 13, 2003.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I have some lemon seed oil i bought for the rosewood fretboard on one of my basses. But I also have one with a maple fretboard and I can't tell if it's getting dry or not. Does that need a dab of oil now and then also?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Most Maple boards are covered with a finish. I wouldn't put oil on them, as it will soften the clearcoat.

Once the finish is gone, it discolors easily and thus you get the grungy maple boards that you often see.

Just wipe it down with a lint-free cloth to keep the nose grease off it, which is the primary culprit in discoloring the maple once the topcoat is gone.

Chas

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks for the info!

4. To clean maple fretboards use
    Dunlop formula 65 guitar cleaner,

or Windex.

5. Defe

Defe

Jun 25, 2008
    Paris, France
    Hi

I've a EBMM with a maple fingerboard - oiled, no finish or lacquer. Can I use the Dunlop Formula 65 I saw mentioned in other posts to this forum ? Or will this affect the neck ? Also, the neck is mainly dirty from several years of use, not sure this product would solve the problem; it looks ingrained...

Thanks,

df.