Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

maple fretboards and painted necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DougP, Jan 25, 2005.

1. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    does anyone have a picture or know where i can find some pictures of a maple fretboard with the back of the neck painted black or another dark color?

i have been looking around for awhile off and on and all the pics that i find of black basses with a maple neck are shown from front-on. i am interested in what the light/dark transition looks like down the length of the neck.

Thanks and sorry for the odd request. :)

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Brubaker often paints the backs of his basses (and necks) black. Let me see if I can find a picture...

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I'm afraid it's going to be pretty hard to see the maple board AND the painted back on only one picture...

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    What Jean said. I found pics of Brad Johnson's Brubakers with black necks, but none are of a side view with both the maple fingerboard and the black showing, although there is a shot like of of one with an ebony board and the bass top (which is spalted maple). Don't know if it helps, but here it is:

[​IMG]

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    yeah, i know they are hard to find. looks like i may have to resort to some photoshop tricks.

i thought maybe Modulus or Moses Graphite Necks would have a shot but no joy down that road either.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Not much of a pic, it was the best I could find.