Maple necessary for slap / pop ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jar546, Mar 6, 2010.

1. jar546

jar546

Dec 14, 2006
    I am in the market for a jazz bass and would like to have one geared toward slap/pop which I was always told was better on a maple fretboard.

Any thoughts on this or recommendations for a bass for this application would be appreciated. I was leaning towards a Fender Jazz with a thinner neck than my P and certainly thinner than my SR5.

Thanks!

2. Maple is only necessary for Pancakes, French Toast, Waffles and the like :bag:

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    There is an endless array of slap recordings on non-maple boards that sound excellent. Larry Graham, Victor Wooten, Stanley Clarke, Les Claypool- a wide variety of renowned slappers have used non-maple boards.

4. Gelfin

Gelfin

Nov 28, 2009
    Maple = tone = sustain = penetration, more???

5. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Absolutely maple and it has to have abalone inlays or you won't get that high end, mid upper cut, growly deep twangy thwack punch that you have to have for slap/pop!:D

Sorry, I couldn't help myself;)

If you can slap and pop(which I can't) then you will sound good on whatever bass you choose. IMO of course.

6. t bake

t bake

Dec 26, 2009
    +1 for above but forgot that the neck must have binding. got a 69 maple j works great but good playing and any good stick & amp settings will work , that said i would still get the maple. have sticks with diff necks finde myself on the maple moore.get what works best for you! God Bless Gig On!!! string selection to me is a bigger matter for slap tone and playablity/ setup really matters to me, Ya may have to play around with with them but you will find what works best for your style IMO ya cant go wrong with any amercian j bass rock on.

7. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    My Ray does just fine popping with rosewood. So does Flea's.

My friend just scored a maple EBMM Sterling that is pretty bright, but I wouldn't say better than rosewood. It certainly has a thinner neck than the Ray, without giving away too much EB tone.

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Most of my basses have had dark-colored fingerboards (rosewood, ebony) and slap licks sound fine on them to me. Actually, the only bass with a maple fingerboard I have (Peavey T-40) isn't that good for slapping (not that it cannot be done, but I don't like the tone that much).

9. I've been playing slap style bass for 32 yrs and have used both maple and rosewood, there's no difference.

10. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    You get the bass that gives you the sound you want. I use a MIM fender J-Bass to work on my slap and I get lots of compliments on the sound I get with it.

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have been slapping for 25+ years and I find my maple necked Jazz bass to be noticably brighter than my rosewood necked Jazz. Also, my Maple necked Sadowskys were noticably brighter than my rosewood necked Sadowsky.

Both sound great in any case.

I generally slap on rosewood necked Stingrays and Jazz basses these days.

12. mas502arc

mas502arc

May 14, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Fretboard material doesn't really matter, but the kind of characteristics a bass has does.

Although it's not impossible to slap on say, a Hofner bass, most people don't like the slapped sound.

I slap on both, but if I had to choose, I'd choose maple.

13. jar546

jar546

Dec 14, 2006
    Input appreciated, especially from those who have been playing slap bass for years.

Looks like maple is brighter but it does not truly matter which one you use for slapping.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021