Maple neck peeling lacquer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chaser1, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Chaser1

Chaser1

Aug 24, 2010
    Canada
    I posted a nbd earlier for a new Geddy Jazz I just picked up and it has since fallen down a few pages, but I had a question that I included that I figured would get a response from the right people if it is labeled correctly.

On the black blocks on the neck it looks like maybe the clear coat is wearing down or bubbling under where the string would touch on the fretboard. There is one spot that it looks to have worn through and I am wondering if I should just use a dab of clear nail polish to seal it back up. There is no affect on the playability, just want to conserve it so the flaking doesn’t get any worse. I added a pic below. I just got it yesterday and still gotta replace the old strings and clean the 10 years of finger gunk off the frets. 83458B1D-E1C7-4446-B96F-6996F3FDAB4A.jpeg

2. That’s rubbing from the strings when you push them into the neck. Either you need a fret job to level the frets, a re fret with bigger ones, or ease up on your hand pressure

3. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    I'm not sure the frets need leveled as such, as that wear could happen with factory fresh frets. The fret tops do look a little worn, but it almost looks like whoever plays the bass has been using left hand vibrato. The wear over the block inlay is beyond the footprint of the string, but bears the lateral striations you would expect from roundwound strings.

Alternately the fretboard lacquer might simply be less than entirely compatible with the inlay, and any small chip in the lacquer compromises the integrity of the lacquer over the entire inlay. Superglue might be a more secure option for repairing the lacquer.

Chaser1 likes this.
  4. Chaser1

Chaser1

Aug 24, 2010
    Canada
    Last night I pulled off the old string and polished all the grime and what looks like corrosion off the frets. They were in really bad shape, but a little bit of fret cleaner and a lot of work polishing and they now look great. The first three frets have some wear so I could likely use a fret dress. Maybe in 6 months to a year I will invest the cash.

I was worried it may need a fret replacement if the frets were worn to the point that the string was hitting the fretboard, but the previous owner must have seriously heavy hands cause I pressed down hard and got it to touch but it was not an easy feat, and there is no way with my playstyle I will worsen the problem.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021