Maple Neck, Wenge fretboard VS Wenge Neck, Ebony fretboard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Geoff_tcf, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Maple Neck, Wenge fretboard

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. Wenge Neck, Ebony fretboard

28 vote(s)
    68.3%
  1. Geoff_tcf

Geoff_tcf

Mar 22, 2016
    Hi guys,

Warmoth build with Black Korina body, Aguilar Super Double + John East Uni, struggling between these two options...
    Looking for growly tone with strong solid bass- like something a bit brighter than this and a bit darker than that... Using it for funk, jazz, rock

Maple Neck, Wenge fretboard:
    Pros - lighter, a safer choice? (since darkening tone is easier than brightening tone)
    Cons - might lack a bit of midrange / bass?

Wenge Neck, Ebony fretboard:
    Pros - Midrange growl guaranteed, looks better to me
    Cons - heavier, might lack highs due to dark-toned korina + wenge?

All inputs are much appreciated! Thanks and have a good day :)

2. GtenderG

GtenderG Supporting Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Interesting poll. Another choice is Maple w/ebony fingerboard.
    I would think it would somewhat brighter than the Wenge/Ebony. Sharp looking too.

I had a PJ project and tried several neck & pickups settled on Maple/Ebony and Classic Barts...

Good luck on your build!

3. Geoff_tcf

Geoff_tcf

Mar 22, 2016
    Thanks man, but won't maple + ebony be like super bright? As far as I know the Super Doubles are significantly brighter than Barts. :unsure::bassist:

4. Geoff_tcf

Geoff_tcf

Mar 22, 2016
    still thinking... :rollno:

5. Geoff_tcf

Geoff_tcf

Mar 22, 2016
    seems like quite a few of the community prefer ebony board on wenge! Anyone care to share experience on basses with similar specs? :D

6. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Geoff_tcf likes this.
  7. Here`s a video of my Warmoth with wenge, ebony, and black limba.

Avalon5, boodakon and Geoff_tcf like this.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Ever since I got my Roscoe and found the magical combination of maple neck and wenge board, I don't think I'll have anything else if I can help it!

But now as far as feel, I love a wenge neck. Sound wise...maple/wenge.

So why not wenge/wenge? Works for Warwick.

Geoff_tcf likes this.
  9. Geoff_tcf

Geoff_tcf

Mar 22, 2016
    Thanks man, sounds awesome! Didn't know you have a vid for the fretless. But since the pickup architecture and character is quite different, I wonder how viable is it for my reference?

Btw how heavy is the bass? Any neck dive?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    AlexanderB likes this.
  10. Geoff_tcf

Geoff_tcf

Mar 22, 2016
    The only problem I have with maple is that I have a little maple-phobia, since every maple neck bass I have tried, (which are only a few Fender Ps and Js) had a kind of "hollow" tone which I don't like, but watching this and this kinda convinced me that it should be better than I expect.

As to wenge/wenge, just think it may be too heavy and lack highs as paired with korina. Your thoughts?

AlexanderB likes this.
  11. Well, whatever combo you go with will sound the same, so don't worry about that aspect of it.

Now, onto more practical matters - the feel of wenge, IMO/IME, is second to none. I'd have nothing but wenge necks on all my basses if I could. As it stands, I've got one bass with a wenge neck and wenge fingerboard, and the other is a wenge/padauk neck with birdseye maple fingerboard.

I also prefer wenge feel on the fretboard as well, so count me amongst those that would actually vote for using it for the whole neck construction.

Weight - I don't really notice any issue with it to be honest. I know a wenge body can be a bit of a beast, but with a neck...although that korina body could be light. Now funny enough, my one bass that has the all wenge neck also has a korina body (with a figured maple top). It is lovely, light, and well balanced. Feel free to choose that combo without hesitation.

As it stands, I voted for the combo with the ebony, because the other part of it is the looks, and I think any dark fingerboard always looks fantastic.

Just for fun, here are some pics of my bass that I described above. :)

IMG_7814.jpg

IMG_7820.jpg

boodakon and Geoff_tcf like this.
  12. You`re right, the electronics will make a difference but I don`t find the wood combination too dark at all. The pickups are active but there`s no preamp so it`s plenty bright as is.

The bass is over 10 lbs but not particularly neck heavy.

AlexanderB and Geoff_tcf like this.
  13. Geoff_tcf

Geoff_tcf

Mar 22, 2016
    Thanks man it's such a nice bass! Any sound clips or recording? That tone should be drool

blindrabbit likes this.
  14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Kings Bay, GA

I owned an MTD 535 with a korina body, wenge neck and board, and there was no lack of anything...

15. Geoff_tcf

Geoff_tcf

Mar 22, 2016
    That's awesome... how heavy was it?

16. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Kings Bay, GA
    Maybe 8.5 pounds? It was serial #28, previously owned by Adrian Garcia, here on the boards, played with KC and the Sunshine Band, and Cirque de Soleil, and covered with an amazing sea foam green lacquer...miss that bass! It was a special one...tons of mojo

Geoff_tcf likes this.
  17. I should add that my korina warmoth also a maple/ebony neck at one point and it sounded amazing.

AlexanderB and Geoff_tcf like this.
  18. Geoff_tcf

Geoff_tcf

Mar 22, 2016
    Nice... Why did it leave you :bored:

19. Geoff_tcf

Geoff_tcf

Mar 22, 2016
    I was surprised that the Wenge/ebony didn't sound too dark though.
    Yet the tone from the clip sounded a little bit too harsh for me. But it may just be the sound of the Duncan pickups...:bassist:

20. This whole album was recorded with that bass. Caveat - I also have about a half dozen pedal going on at any point in time, and the goal is to achieve an aggressive punk tone, so keep that in mind when listening to it. :)

The Foul English, by The Foul English

Having said that, the bass does sound amazing, and has a huge amount of range to it. I really give full credit to Alan/ACG (@Skelf) for creating such an incredible preamp and pickups for it...not to mention the whole rest of the bass!

P.S. My bass weighs about 7.7 lbs or so, which should tell you that wood combo can be quite light.