maple neck with white binding and pearl blocks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by themathrock, Aug 8, 2005.

1. does anyone know a place besides allparts that sells this particular neck for a fender jazz? thanks.
  2. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

$160 pearl block inlay
    $80 binding

they work closely with USA Custom Guitars

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Good to Know , thanks. :)
  4. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    thanks to whoever gave me that site in my post on this subject....

now the choice is a Skyline DJ or build my own....
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Either that or a Fender Marcus Miller and swap necks.
  6. just get a KSD '70's jazz and be done with it :D
  7. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

I've considered that but decided it is against my religion

actually, it is just because I can't get the color I want. Either mary kay/transparent white on ash or solid white
  8. i was talking to brian barret from the low end about getting another ksd 70's...a 4 string this time, and before gettin it shipped over to me getting chris benavente to refinish the whole thing in white ala larry grahams moon jazz's...but the really are nice basses
  9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Well here's some food for thought.

A neck like what you are looking for would cost $350 to $400 from Warmoth. A Skyline DJ hovers a little over a grand new. Is a white body with Aero pickups, Lakland bridge, Hipshot licensed ultralite tuners, and Lakland quality construction worth $600 to you?

Another thing to consider is that the DJ has a pretty curved fingerboard, so if you want a flatter one that still has the blocks and binding you'd have to go elsewhere.

The last thing to consider is the fretwork. Laklands have small frets, so if you want jumbos look elsewhere. On the other hand, the fretwork on a Lakland is top notch. But, Lakland isn't the only builder that has great fretwork, and I hear that US Custom and Warmoth do excellent fretwork.

And for final comparison, the KSD has an on-board preamp but the Lakland Skyline DJ doesn't unless you custom order it with a J-retro.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member