Maple necks: not my cup of tea?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dreadhead, Mar 8, 2003.

1. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Hello there! I hope that I'll be lucky enough to read the opinion of our great luthiers :D
    Well, this is the "problem": there are lots of basses with maple necks, but the neck-thru basses with that feature, to my ears, don't sound as bright as they should do to be "my cup of tea".
    I've owned a couple of Series I basses, with both Walnut and Maple tops, and they didn't sound bright enough to me and I didn't like the sound enough to justify keeping them.
    I've owned (and I own) a lot of basses made with hardwoods, and it seems that Wengé neck basses often have a better response. Now you should say "Just go on getting basses with Wengé necks, dumb!"... well, the sad thing is that there are lots of nicest basses (Smith, Wal, Fodera, F etc.) and I'm very curious to know if they are bright enough for my taste. I guess that the fingerboard is another important factor... well, Ebony looks great but Wengé is probably better to me! Any idea? Thanx guys!
  2. zavala

Mar 6, 2003
    not to sure if this will help or not but ibanez made a few neck through basses (only 4 and 5 strings) in the 1500 series that where a wenge and maple. maybe the best of both worlds?
  3. dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Well, the neck of my actual bass is just a 5 pieces Maple/Wengé with a Bubinga center... it's just great! The only Ibanez I liked was the old AFR... a strange bass, though!