Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

maple necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by turkish, Jul 14, 2002.

1. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    anyone knows where i could get a jazz neck maple fingerboard with creme binging and creme block inlays?

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Warmoth.com can do that, I'm pretty sure.

3. Nah, Warmoth builds maple boards with black binding and inlay, or rosewood boards with white binding and pearl inlay, but not maple boards with white binding and pearl inlay. Weird, but there are no other options with their 70's style Jazz necks.

Now that I think about it, I've never seen a Jazz neck with creme block inlays--they all have black or pearl ("pearloid") inlays. I ahve no idea where you'd find such a beast, really.

Mike

4. turkish

turkish Guest

Jul 14, 2002
    FCCAUSA, or here
    i guess i meant pearloid i just have heard it reffered to as creme

5. Aside from being generally whitish in color, pearloid and creme don't look much alike, really. Most "white" bindings on Jazz necks are actually white, anyway, as far as I know--they tend to look creme after the lacquer on top of them yellows, but they start out white.

Anyway, I'm not sure what sort of price you're looking for, but it might be worth checking out "D-basses custom and vintage parts & guitars" (http://geocities.com/downye/edbasses2)

I have no idea if they're any good, but it does look like they have maple Jazz necks with binding and block inlays.

The other option is Allparts (http://ww.allparts.com).. It looks like they sell at least one maple Jazz-style neck with binding and block inlays--part # JMF-B , price $255.00. That may actually be the Warmoth neck with black binding/inlays, though.

Mike

6. you could get an essex bass and use the neck of of it. check for the essex jazz bass in the natural color here: www.rondomusic.com

7. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Speaking of maple necks... the USA Jazz I just bought has a maple fretboard... other than the obvious difference in look... what is the difference in sound from a Rosewood?

8. Conventional wisdom is that maple tends to be a little brighter and more focused, while rosewood is a little warmer and "woodier". Don't know that I've played two otherwise identical basses to say that for a fact, though, and fretboard wood is only one component in the overall sound of the bass.

Mike

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Very well stated. Ebony tends to have very similar tonal properties to maple. I have a maple necked P copy and I think it's cool. :)