1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Maple opposed to Rosewood.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gregmon79, Oct 16, 2013.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong forum, if I am please let me know and I will relocate it, thank you.

So, I have two basses, my main gigging and band bass, an ATK 300 with maple fretboard and a Squier P with rosewood fretboard. I love both these basses but I find that I am only able to use the ATK in live settings because the Squier P has a really hard time cutting through the mix. Now both these basses are active, the ATK has the stock pup and pre, the P has active EMG-PAX's. Anyway, I have been thinking a lot about this and it seems no amount of EQ'ing will get my P's sound out in front of the mix. The ATK cuts all day without any issues. I have posted about this issue before asking if I just sucked at EQ'ing and I was suggested quite a few things to try, none of which worked. So I started thinking that the maple fretboard on the ATK was what was making all the difference and the rosewood on the P was making my P's sound much darker and less noticeable in the mix. Am I way off in thinking this or does someone here have a different take/suggestion on this? All and any help is very much appreciated. I LOVE the way my P plays and sounds and I want to use it in a live setting but the reasons named above are preventing me from doing so. Help please!! :help:

2. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    Respectfully ...Ive Never heard of a P Bass that couldnt cut the Mustard i cant help you.Maybe its the changed out pick ups.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Fretboard wood can make a TINY difference in the tone, but nothing so drastic as to make a difference in cutting through a mix.....

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    They have different pickups...why would they sound the same?

5. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    So what would you guys suggest? Here's my setup when I'm jamming live with my ATK:
    GK 1001 RB into
    GK neo 410
    My board: from my amp
    B7K>DOD OD pre 250>105q>rat king>ditto looper>TC poly tuner>EQD hummingbird>DOD digital delay>EQD disaster transport>zoom 70CDR>TC vortex>OCD>VMT>ODB3>OC2>IE sub t
    I have a lot of pedals going into a 6 channel looper but that's sort of beside the point. I usually set my GK EQ to flat roughly with the bass and treble bumped just a tad, low mids bumped a little too lately and by B7🐳K set to lows, treble and low mids around 1 o'clock and high mids around 11 o'clock with the boost and fat switches set up. I don't really know what else to tweak since this setup works smashingly with the ATK but falls short with the P.

6. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    Try "Basses", not "Live Sound".

7. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

I wasn't sure which one I should put it in but after considering where I was having problems, which was when I am playing live and not problems with the actual bass per say, I went with live sound. Made more sense to me.

8. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
    Forget about the wood, if you have flats on the P, try rounds instead. Boost your mids. Pickups play a large role too.

9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I have an MIA Jazz with rosewood and an MIA Precision with maple. Both cut through the mix without any problem. Sounds more like an issue with EQ or the pickups in your Precision. I have know other bass players who have told me that their Squiers didn't cut through as well as their MIM, MIJ or MIA Fenders. Other people don't seem to have this problem.

10. The ATK is Ibanez' take on a Music Man Stingray. It's got that big, ballsy humbucker back near the bridge.

A P-bass can dominate a mix just fine, but it does it in a different way. You can mimic the ATK to a certain extent by boosting the lows and upper mids on your amp and keeping fresh roundwounds on it, but it's never going to really replicate the Ibanez.

You've got the ATK already, why sweat it?

If you absolutely have to have the Squier cover the same ground as the ATK, here's a fairly expensive, impractical thought: EMG offers the MMCS, and the BTC active tone control. An active P-bass/MM hybrid could be a pretty interesting instrument...

11. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Ok so I'm getting the same thing from most, it's the way I eq. I really thought that after all my trifle and error with EQ'ing that it was the rosewood not helping me cut through. Or it may be my pups too. I have the EMG-PAX's in there now and before I had the EMGP's. Some were telling me that the EMGP's were a bit mid scooped, which I agree with, and that the PAX's would probably help a little bit. The problem now is I love the EMG's. Both ones I had in there. But I do notice that the regular P's were more scooped than the PAX's. Maybe I'll start shipping around for different pups. I know that it could be a few different things as to why I'm not cutting through the way I'd like toamd I thought I would bring the rosewood/maple question to you guys and see what y'all thought.

12. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    IMO (and only an OPINION) active EQ and a single pickup P bass are a bad mix. Get a higher output passive pick up int hat bad boy, like a Duncan 1/4 pounder or even a G&L MFD, and it will pummel any mix into oblivion. My G&L is a force of nature :)

13. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

Thank you much for your opinion! I was waiting for someone to suggest a pup. I was shopping around for pups for a while and settled on the EMG's because it's what I knew. I'll check into the SD's. I've always wanted to have a passive pup in a bass but was always worried that they wouldn't cut it in band setting for me.

14. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Does anyone have a link where I can buy the g&l mfd's? Can't seem to find a site that sells them alone.

15. bass geetarist

bass geetarist

Jul 29, 2013
    toronto
    + 1 to the SD QP! I have one in my 78 P, and it can cut through any mix. I also tried a fretless 78 P with a QP, and the tone was incredible.

I like emg pickups too, but I think of them as getting a more clean, smooth sound that I don't personally want in a p bass.

16. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Google is your friend

http://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/pickups

It may or may not fit your Squier, so bear that in mind. The Duncan is almost certainly a drop in.

17. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    personally i would just buy a used g&l tribute, that's not going to cost a whole lot more than buying the pickups alone

18. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    Pickups are $80 my friend :)

But if you are not handy with a soldering iron, you may have a point. And an SB2 is a thing of beauty, even a Tribby :)

19. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    80 hmm, i thought they were 120, i guess that's the L series

20. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Could be just about anything. I mainly gig with two Carvin jazz-style basses, both with maple boards, and one cuts nicely through any mix and the other needs careful EQ and setup to come even remotely close.