Maple or Ebony Fret Board? Dark or Light Wood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by modulusbassist, Oct 1, 2001.

1. Hello,
    What do you guys prefer? Maple or Ebony Board? Dark or Light Woods?

2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Supposedly the darker woods give you a warmer sound while lighter woods give you a brighter sound, (ala pau ferro=dark, maple=light), but this is not always the case. (ebony=dark, but very bright sound). All the basses I've owned have had rosewood or pau ferro fingerboards, so I guess I would have to say darkwood.
  3. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    It's a matter of taste. Maple is brighter-cleaner, Rosewood is darker -warmer. I have both and like both. Of course for fretless you need rosewood unless you want to sand the finish off a maple neck!
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

For fretted, birdseye maple, for fretless, phenowood.

There have been a ton of threads on this subject, do a search and you will find at least 10 threads.
  5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Maple, for when all I played was hard rock. Birdseye maple, especially, because it's so bright just lets roundwounds ring.

Ebony is versatile and sounds great. It can let your technique, (or lack thereof), really come through as it can be warm and wide or it can sound hard and crunchy.

Macassar ebony would be great -

6. JOhnk

Mar 31, 2001
    burlington, vt
    Rosewood all the way.. but Maple in a pinch.
  7. I'm a dark wood man. Rosewood for lunch; Ebony for dinner. Maple is for the morning. I like the looks of darker woods, but, that's just me. Recntly I tried two Stigrays; one black with a Rosewood board, the other was natural with a maple board. Although I liked the looks of the black bass better, the maple necked bass sounded more focused, especially in the low end. Something to consider.

Mike J.