1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Maple or Rosewood

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave D, Mar 23, 2009.

1. I used to HATE rosewood, I prefered ebony and maple.
    I recently purchased a MIA 60th anniversary and I LOVE it!
    I have 2 bassesthat have maple necks and I like the attack they have.. they play and sound great.
    If I had my choice i would go Maple though

2. That black Jazz is PURE beauty!

3. Dave D

Dave D

Mar 1, 2009
    Every response was well received.Looks like a maple neck will be my choice.Thanks all,Dave

4. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    Rosewood fields forever.

I like Maple too, though. xD

5. After playing nothing but rosewood for 20+ years, I finally went maple and I'll never look back. I love the brightness of it. I swear I "feel" the strings better.

6. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    yeah dig it
    with rosewood I feel the earth and wind
    but with maple I feel the fire and water

fire and water is where it's at!
    don't let them tell you otherwise!

7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    Where does that leave the ebony board on the Alembic in your avatar?;)

I find a lot to like about both maple & rosewood. One thing to keep in mind (especially if you're buying a used bass) is that repair people typically charge more to do fretwork on maple 'boards because of the finish.

8. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

oh, that...ebony?
    no tone whatsoever!
    Alembic is known for that.
    I go for the no tone approach, it resolves a lot of these maple vs rosewood issues :D

seriously, anyone who thinks they "hear" a difference between maple and rosewood...I challenge you to a blind listening test. come on....really.
    I've been on guitar forums for over 10 years...this issue is like religion..pick one and fight for your right!:D

9. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Thanks! I have to be honest, I'd have gone with maple on the 5'er if it was available at the time!:D Feels right on a Jazz to me.

10. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    I have the same black/maple/black pickguard combo. I like the black control plate. Everybody knows black basses play and sound better, especially when they have a maple neck. What strings have you tried on yours? I've used the original Fenders, Dr Sunbeams GHS Boomers and Rotosound Stainless Swing. I really like the Rotos so far the best, really gives extra growl. :)

11. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Just been using Fenders - they sound good to me!