Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

maple top on korina body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SummerSoft, Aug 10, 2005.

1. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    Hi!
    What do you think of this combination?
    How would these two woods go together?
    Thanks

2. if its a maple top it wont really affect the sound, its just for asthetics isnt it ?

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Well, that's not true, unless you're talking about a really thin top like less than a 1/4 inch. Of all the top woods that you can choose, Maple adds quite a bit to the tone provided it's thick enough to do so.

4. sorry, thats what i think off when someone says top, just something thats a thin piece of wood thats thier for asthetics

5. SummerSoft

SummerSoft

Jun 17, 2005
    I was thinking of 1cm top (0.4").
    I'm quite sure it will affect the sound. but how?

6. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    To answer the question, I think that a Maple top on a Korina body should be a good combo and should be a similar in tone to a Maple/Mahogany combination which is a good one IMO. Maple tops tend to add a bit of top end focus to whatever body wood chosen provided the top is thick enough. I don't completely understand how it works, but once you start adding laminates to any bass body, the more you tend to compress the tone and the less the wood affects the tone.

I would also ask what neck/fingerboard wood you'll be going with as I think that this will have a pretty decent effect on the tone, especially the the FB.

7. I would talk to JP of JP basses (in France). He uses black korina often. Probably has slapped a maple top on one of them at one time or another.