Maple vs. morado on Sad UV70 - help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DerVedel, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Hi

I'm in a pickel and need you help.

Currently I have and Sadowsky Metro UV70 5 with morado fingerboard, white blocks, 3 tone burst, VTC and PU cover on order. As this is a new colour in the metro line it has been delayed again. And now as I'm waiting I'm getting very attracted to a UV70 5 with maple board with black blocks. So now I'm considering to change the order.

I have read a "few" threads about the differences between Maple and Morado and what I can gather is: "There is no big difference in tonallity, with maple being a tad brighter (something about a mid-scoop). It's more about feel and looks."
    The question is: Is maple "only" for slap? Will it also be good playing melodic rock and pop ballads?
    If i decide on the maple I will definitely keep the VTC and PU cover.

I appreciate your opinions and comments, thanks

2. Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    i have a ash/maple uv70 and its the best sounding bass ive ever owned. you can get all kind of sounds, Great tone! i think all the different woods talk is a little too much thinking. these basses have a massive preamp and when you ad the vtc and the blend knob, you can get any sound you want. plus most bass amps have an eq also to ad to it if needed. the ash/maple combo is way warmer sounding than my 75 ri fender with ash/rosewood combo. maybe im just not as picky about stuff like that as other bass players but i can tell you i have a GREAT sound right now. i play in a new rock cover band, a blues trio, and a classic rock cover band and it seems to cover everthing fine. im not a big slap player. i have never played a wood combo like you ordered but ash/maple sounds pretty good to me. Mark

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Isint it actually rosewood on the 70's Ultra Vintage basses? I would wait for the 3 tone sunburst with rosewood board and even get a pearliod pick guard, oh instant GAS. :hyper: :bassist:
  4. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    I play ash, maple/maple Sads and I don't slap much anymore. I love the tone and IMO the preamp with the VTC can give you as much warmth as you need without losing clarity.
    I play in an acoustic country/rock band and the bass sounds fat and warm beneath the acoustic guitars and sparse drums.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree 100% the preamp can really warm up the Ash/maple combo for a great fingerstyle tone.
  6. I could be wrong on this one but... on the Metro line it says rosewood in the descriptions. I would guess morado being a different kind of rosewood as oppose to the Brazilian rosewood used on the US models. I think there is a noticable colour difference with the morado being brighter.

The thing is the 3-tone sunburst will be one of the first Metro ever and it's also very classic funky whereas the "geddy" has that indefineable funky feeling.

In short: I'm torn between the two
  7. If all you are talking about is the fret board material, the difference is very, very small between Maple and Morado. I think some players get confused because in many cases, the maple board basses have other differences that affect the sound also.... in Sadowsky's case, most of the Morada or RW basses have Alder bodies and most maple boards have swamp ash, etc. Also, the UV is a very different sounding bass versus the Vintage... due to the full body size, pickup placement, etc.

So, IMO... get the fretboard material that looks best to you... there will be very little difference in the sound.
  8. I appreciate all your inputs on the tone and I think you have confirmed what I have been thinking. That Sadowsky are very versatile, the VTC is a must, and that the choice of wood (between these two) is a matter of looks.

Regardless of choice, I cant go wrong. But what to choose

^ I think I might be wrong on the morado/rosewood thingy... sorry
  9. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Morado is also called PauFerro. It's harder than rosewood and the pores(sp?) are not open like rosewood. IMO the feeling on the fingertips is closer to maple.
  10. I never would have guessed it also was PauFerro. :) THank you
    I have an MIA Fender J Deluxe 4 with PauFerro. Still, I believe there must be a wide range of colours in morado. Is this true or just my imagination? The one I have "almost" resembles ebony - being very dark. While the UV70s on have very bright morado fingerboards.

IMO the pearl block inlays look better on dark morado. This is in fact the source of my hesitation as the UV70 morado fingerboards I have seen so far has been very bright.
  11. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    It also depends on the flashlight. but every kind of wood can be found in different tonalities.
  12. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I think you can order them that way bro. Not 100% sure.

I'd go with the maple board but that is just me. And yes, it is Rosewood not Morado.
  13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I always avoided maple boards but after owning a couple, I love them. 2 out of 3 of my Sadowsky's are maple board. I seldom slap

14. No

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Almost all of my basses are maple/Swamp ash and the only think I slap is my monkey!!! :D
  16. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    OK, we may have just crossed a new line here. That is just disgusting. YIKES! :scowl: LOL
  17. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I've had lots of maple boards on basses, and I usually end up preferring rosewood especially on an ash bodied bass.

I say wait for that 3 tone rosewood/ash beauty! Rosewood with Ash makes for a very balanced, punchy, tight sound with no harshness. :cool:
  18. Thank y'all for your input! You have reassured me out of my hesitation for maple, really. All that is left is choosing the colour.
    At the moment I'm favoring the black maple with black blocks. Maybe with a white pearloid pg. So I think will ship a mail to Kevin in morning to know what they'll be able to do.

19. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I would have to agree with Nino. ;)
  20. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    dude, I would stick with your original choice. burst/rosewood with blocks just does it for me. having had both (in fender), I prefer rosewood anyway.
    the other one looks great too though.