Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

maple vs. rosewood fingerboards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Newman, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Newman

Newman

Jun 6, 2000
    Hey,
    just wondering which you like better and why, rosewood or maple? What's the difference? Thanks

2. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    Boy, this is a new one on me.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    This is a very subjective topic, and tonal qualities of each are subject to change from piece of maple to piece of maple, and so forth. Also, there are some people who claim that a small, 1/4 inch thick piece of wood won't have as much of an impact on sound as an inch thick piece of wood underneath it...

Yet others will claim that the "surface" piece of 1/4 inch thick fingerboard will make a difference because it's the point of contact between soundwaves and the instrument. It's up to you to decide.

That in mind, I've found that rosewood tends to sound a little warmer, where maple sounds a little snappier, particularly on the treble side.

Which is better? Again, it's up to you to decide.

4. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    My opinion on finger board woods:

Whichever looks better on your bass :D The difference between rosewood and maple is subtle as it is. Your audience certainly wont be able to distinguish between them. so just get whatever matches your bass. But for tone, I prefer rosewood.

5. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    This one has been debated a lot lately, and you might get more information if you do a search on this topic. I posted a reply to this very question just a few weeks ago. You'll get the info you're looking for, and a lot more of it, through a search. Good luck.