Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Maple Vs. Rosewood fretboard on a P-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b-ace!, Mar 6, 2005.

1. b-ace!

b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    I'm thinking about buying a Tokai P-Bass but I can't decide between a Maple or a Rosewood fretboard. whats the difference? how do each of them sound? which is better?

Also a bit of a tandem but which one is lighter a P or J-bass?

thanks in advance :)

2. b-ace!

b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    also (number two) I forgot to say I will be playing with a pick 25% of the time, fingerstyle 50% and slapping and tapping the other 25%. I was just wondering if anyone does this on a P-bass and if a P-bass is ok/good enough to do these styles (finger, slap, tap) effectively/well without too much struggle?

AND from the info above what neck should I go for? I personally like the look of rosewood but that looks wise and I don't know much about the sound. I'd appreciate any advice, thanks.

3. b-ace!

b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    bump ;)

4. rosewood is warm, maple tends to be brighter than rosewood. both would be ok for you, but since you slap you may want to look at maple. Just my opinion

5. I personally prefer the sound of rosewood. It is slightly mellower, but seems to sit better in the mix. That said, the difference between the two is small.

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
  7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    None is better than the other.
    The difference is small.
    Rosewood is rounder, darker, more low end.
    Maple, brighter, more defined, notes are quicker, to develope.
    I like maple with roundwound string.
    Rosewood with flats.

8. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Maple just looks cooler ;) .

9. b-ace!

b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    personally I'm into the rosewood look.....