1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Maple with Pearl blocks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by angrypanda, May 19, 2011.

1. OK, here is the short question!

The best bass I ever owned was a Fender Japan 75 jazz bass reissue ash with maple neck and pearl block inlays and white pickguard I bought in 1996. I regret selling this bass almost everyday, last time I saw one on ebay it sold for a pretty penny.

I am wondering why Fender offers rosewood with pearl or maple with black blocks, damn it I want maple with pearl ( no marcus miller sigs).

Anyone know if Fender is planning on doing this ever again?

2. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    I dont know about Fender but I ended up with a Lakland DJ which gave me a choice of rosewood or maple neck with pearl blocks and i went with the maple. The Fenders with the block pearl necks were bank. You can always have one custom made for you by luthiers that specialize in Fender replacement parts. It wont be cheap because you will want the neck binding which is an extra cost but absolutely necessary to match the vintage Fenders:bassist:

3. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    check out bal704's MIJ bass for sale in the basses for sale section if you decide on a block pearl on rosewood, its not maple but its nice if you are unable to find maple. Just a suggestion

4. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Yes, they don't offer the maple/pearl block option but you can get it from the custom shop.

Here are the blocks on my 78 jazz one piece maple neck:

[​IMG]

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Not sure about Fender but the Sadowsky's with blocks looks awesome ! :bassist:

6. lareamond

lareamond

Nov 16, 2010
    I was at Sam Ash earlier today, and they had a beautiful Fender Jazz Bass with a maple fingerboard and white pearl inlays. It played like butter. I think it was a MM signature? Sam Ash, Cherry Hill, NJ.

7. Thanks guys, I really think I might have to have the custom shop make me one, I am not too keen on the Marcus Miller jazz, I don't like that black pickguard.

8. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Allparts do a maple + mop block Jazz neck, no Fender decals obviously, don't know if that's important to you.

I've got one on a Jazz I bought used last week, it's a good neck.

9. It's super thick, however. Like a baseball bat compared to a typical J neck.

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw

I found it to be closer to an early-mid '70s J neck than a more recent J neck.

11. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I have Allparts Jazz necks on two of my basses and that description does not seem to match either of the necks I have. They are noticeably less beefy than my '66 P bass neck.

12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, the allparts necks can be easily reshaped to a thinner profile. you'd have to refinish it of course, but they're the only one piece maple block bound necks that i've seen available, and their construction and quality is excellent (straight, lightweight, resonant and stable).

13. A Fender American Standard J bass neck is .830" thick at the first fret, the last time I measured. AllParts necks are about .890" thick. That's a sizable difference. But some players have more sensitive hands than others I suppose.

14. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    ......and others re-shape them to suit their preference.

15. True, but many bassists would have no clue how to do that properly, and would rather avoid the hassle anyway.

These guys will custom make you a maple neck with pearl blocks & binding. They do great work, and they use graphite rods unlike Allparts:
    Best Guitar Parts - The Best Electric Guitar Parts On The Web

16. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Can't you still buy stuff from Ishibashi?

17. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i didn't see any bass necks on their site. and no fender licensed headstocks either.

18. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
  19. Right there at the top of the page: "Standard bass neck order form". It's usually best to call with custom requests however.

And they can get pretty close to Fender, but not exactly. If you absolutely gotta have the Fender headstock shape, you could always go with Warmoth.

20. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    warmoth doesn't offer bound 20 fret one piece maple necks. all the maple necks that warmoth makes have laminated boards.