1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marbass cmd121 and ampeg...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gregouille23, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Hi

I want to buy a new amp to replace my practice peavey 10'' combo. I am not really satisfied by the sound from the peavey especially for the low freqs...
    I went to my local music store and I tried a few combos and amps. I really liked the markbass cmd121 (much more than the cmd 102 actually). But then I tried the svt 7 from ampeg with a 410 cab and wooooooow I was blown away by the sound of it :)

I would go for the svt 7 but I just can't with a budget of 500-700 euros for the amp+cab... Here comes the dilemma: I read many good comments about the svt micro vr from ampeg. But I could not try it in the shop... I am fully aware the micro and the svt are very different but do you think I could get a similar warm ampeg tone out of the micro? I don't need a really powerful and loud rig, I am just looking for an good amp which would give me a nice warm tone.

Greg

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I love my Micro VR. It won't quite be to the sonic level of what you get out of a 7 Pro and a 410, especially if you used the 410HLF, but it's got the right sound and it's very easy to move. I think if you like the 121p and don't mind taking the hit on available volume, you'd love the Micro VR. However, buying amps is quite a personal journey, so I'd always recommend trying out stuff when you can.

3. Thanks for the feedback JimmyM :). I'll try to go another shop and see if I can give the micro vr a try. I will probably try it with the svt210av cab

4. I finally managed to try the micro vr with svt210av cab and it did not convince me that much... The sound is good but not as warm as I expected or wanted. To make sure, I played with the MB cmd121 again and I decided to go with MB after all. I just love the sound of it. Even if it meant I have to wait to save the extra money to afford it...

On the same evening (how lucky can you be :)) I found a used MB rig on the net at incredible price: 450 euros for LM 250 head and 151 traveller cab (it would cost about 1100 euros to buy this new around here in Europe). I drove 4h round trip to get it but now I HAAAAAAAVE IT! I couldn't be happier. I liked the 12'' speaker but the 15 is also a killer. Not convinced my neighbours are going to like it that much though :p

Thanks again for the advice JimmyM. But as you said: picking an amp you like is quite a personal quest :)

5. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    You will do well with the Traveler 151P cab. I run one with my Little Mark III head. I came from a 121H combo (bigger box than the 121P combo). It sounds great, too, but I like the 15 better for its "resiliency" (for lack of a better term). The 15 seems to be able to go louder without clanking. Of course, more cone area helps with that. It's not the smallest or lightest in weight that one can get, but I think it's a good compromise, considering all parameters.

(I've been heard from across the street, with the doors closed, LOL).

6. Hehehehe.... Yesterday I started to play a bit at pretty low volume and started to hear something slightly shaking. The noise was coming from glasses in a cupboard close to the amp :-D
    I guess I am just discovering the power of the 15'' for the low freqs ;-)