MARBASS COMP WORTH IT?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ianhin, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Ianhin

Ianhin Inactive

Mar 1, 2015
    South Africa
    Hi everybody, im thinking of buying a Markbass Tube Compressore, but in SA they cost R4500!! Is it worth it to spend that much money on a compressor? Ive tried the Boss stomp box one and it was pretty useless. The sales guy tells me the Markbass one is streets ahead of the Boss one. Chalk and cheese. But its a heck of a lot of money to spend - Rand / dollar 15 - 1!!
    Will it really make that much difference?

2. Funk³

Funk³

Apr 12, 2015
    London
    It should do, yeah. I think there are much better compressors available, like the Black Finger, Cali 76, or Super Symmetry.

Ianhin likes this.
  3. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    If you can afford the real estate on your pedalboard then go for it.

Ianhin likes this.
  4. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Feets don't fail me now!

Jul 10, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    They usually sell for pretty cheap used. For their used price, they are a very nice compressor. Really pleasant and transparent.

Ianhin likes this.
  5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It depends on what else is available to you, at what price. Here in the US, the Markbass is $200 new, which is comparable with many other good quality compressors, and well worth that price. I guess that's 3000 rand equivalent. But what do other premium pedals cost there? What is the price of the MXR M87, Demeter Compulator, or EBS for example? What boutique brands are on the market there?

6. hoytmonster

hoytmonster

Nov 28, 2003
    Here in USA, I got mine for $160 a few week ago. I like it a lot. I can dial in some nice tube sound, more than I expected after reading opinions.

7. Ianhin

Ianhin Inactive

Mar 1, 2015
    South Africa
    Not much, the MXR is the only other one they say is any good. It s also around 4k.

8. Ianhin

Ianhin Inactive

Mar 1, 2015
    South Africa
    Wow that's a real good price, u guys are very fortunate over there, even basses - we dont even have half of what u guys have over there.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021