1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Marc Johnson

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by pao_bass, Jun 7, 2007.

1. he is sort of underrated. how come?

2. musicman5string

musicman5string Inactive

Jan 17, 2006
    Well, I don't know. Sometimes I think his playing is a little too cerebral for my tastes. His tone with the Bill Evans trio leaves alot to be desired. But,
    there's a record he did in 1990 I think, called "2x4". It's a series of duets with Gary Burton, Makato Ozone, Toots Theilmans, and vocalist Lucy Crane. It's absolutely incredible. The recorded bass sound is natural and warm, and Marc's playing is amazing.
    Then he did a book called "Concepts for Bass Soloing" which I think is also fantastic. Published through Chuck Sher I think.
    I met him once back in 1997. Very nice guy. Played his bass with a Fishman bp100 through a SWR amp. Sound was eh but the playing was A+.

3. Underated,? not by me, but you may be right in how other people regard him. He is one of my favourite bass players. Listen to anything he has recorded with Enrico Pieranunzi, especially the duo stuff. Amazing. Or with Joe Lavano.
    Last time I saw him here, he was with Elaine Alias, laying down some fantastic latin grooves.

4. mcbosler

mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    Another good one is Pure Getz (Stan Getz). I especially enjoy Marc's phrasing on that one.

5. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    He is definitely a great player and I work on stuff in his soloing concepts book everyday. I don't think he is underrated but I do think it is regional. Few people talk about James Genus (who I LOVE) in Chicago but he is apparently a household name in Boston and NYC.

For me, I like to listen to guys that have some guts in their playing. His playing is a little too smooth and refined for my taste. A good comparison for me is Fred Hersch with him or Drew Gress. Drew doesn't have the solo virtuosity that Marc does but his playing and sound is bigger and more organic. That's what draws me in.

6. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Marc's style is not for everyone, but his talent is staggering.

I saw him play with Al Hirt at Fred Crane's memorial service (Lucy Crane's husband) years ago and it was amazing.

Freddy Crane was no slouch pianist either...what a monster he was. Marc said he learned more in studying with Fred over one summer than in his entire education on bass.

7. There's a 2 DVD set of this band called Vintage Getz. Marc sounds amazing. The sweater he is wearing, however...

8. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Ahh... I guess I wouldn't want anyone to see me in my early-'80s clothes either.

9. I agree. It's a pretty interesting look the band has going. Victor Lewis still looks stylin' though.

10. Just got the Oslo Concerts. The second Concert with Marc Johnson is really a downer after watching Eddie Gomez rip it up. I actually like Eddie Gomez's tone on this DVD (i usually don't) and I despise Marc Johnson's sound on the DVD

11. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    Marc is a good friend and a great bassist. He has the best jazz bass I've played. The live Abercrombie cd is great. The problem is that a lot of Marc's stuff is a Fishman direct. His miked recorded sound is as good as it gets. His bass is VERY dark and some people equate a good jazz sound with a growl that I find objectionable. We're both on one of the Patricia Barber albums.

12. christ andronis

christ andronis

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    Isn't he married to Eliane Elias or am I way off bass (pun intended) on this?

13. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    They tour together a lot.

14. He plays beautifully on a great Dino Saluzzi cd on ECM. I would say he is underated. Could be the crappy sound in the 80s, but if you hear him on the right recording you can hear he is atop rate musician.

15. Dave Whitla

Dave Whitla

Apr 25, 2006
    Ireland
    I love his playing on the "Ballads" cd with Enrico Pieranunzi.

16. JLubinsky-Mast

JLubinsky-Mast Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Vancouver BC
    Marc Johnson is my most favorite bass player. As far as tone, the sound that he gets on Shades of Jade or the Ennio Moriconne album with Enrico Pieranunzi (sp?) is totally out of control. The intro to Ton Sur Ton on Shades of Jade gives me shivers everytime I hear it.

17. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    He's one of my favourites too. Listen to Kurt Elling's Flirting with Twilight. Lovely bass.

18. -Doesn't Elling have a mullet too?

19. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    yeah ... like the music, it kind of grows on you :)

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021