Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Quizzo515, Mar 11, 2003.

1. I love playing the marcello sonata in a minor, and i am really a pretty big fan of all his stuff. I can not find any recordings of him and I think that someone should, if there isn't one already make a recording. do any of you have any recordings with some of his works on it?

All the bass
  2. Dondi

May 3, 2003
    If you like to play the Marcello, you should move on to the bass transcriptions of Vivaldi's six cello sonatas. They are more advanced compositionally (no knock to Mr. Marcello, but Vivaldi achieved actual greatness in some of his music (The Four Seasons, the Gloria, etc.) In his cello sonatas he accomplished a lot more musical variety and expression than our buddy Marcello did, and they are a logical next step technically.
    My favorite edition of the Vivaldi is the Schirmer (edited by Lucas Drew). Also, if it is still available there was a recording on Musical Heritage Society by Paul Tortelier. The pieces sound great with the harpsichord accompaniment.
    Good luck and Go for it.
  3. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    There appear actually to be ten of these sonatas, not six, and all are recorded on bass in a wonderful two-CD set by Barry Lieberman. Barry freely admits that he did not set out to do "historically correct" interpretations of these pieces, but his playing is beautiful, and these CDs are a good reference and inspiration for anyone learning those terrific pieces.

I'm just a hack amateur, but I did play some of the Marcello sonatas in my wasted youth. I agree that the Vivaldi sonatas are both more difficult to play than the Marcello works (though not THAT much more so), but also much more musically rewarding.
  4. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    I should have said that the CD set is available from Lemur.