Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marching band

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MasterChief, Oct 10, 2003.

1. MasterChief

MasterChief

Feb 4, 2003
    Virginia
    My high school had a pep rally today and the drums were so amazing in the marching band. What kind of stuff do bassist play when a drummer plays like he is in a marching band? (Man... This is very hard to explain.)

I don't know the answer because marching bands don't have guitarists.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, I'm not in a marching band, but I assume you mean when the drummer is playing march drums, what should the bass be doing?

You don't have music written out for you? Are you doing this for something or are you just curious?

3. MasterChief

MasterChief

Feb 4, 2003
    Virginia
    I don't have anything written out for me. I am just curious because I am absolutely in love with the marching band style of playing the drums. I was talking to my band today and they liked my idea of playing that kind of style. The guitarist in the band actually plays the bass drums in the marching band. We haven't found a style of playing that we all like yet but I have a feeling everyone will love this one.

Our marching band has:

One person who plays toms (there is another name for them when you are talking about the ones for marching purposes. It starts with a 'q')

Two people who play snare drums.

Three people who play bass drums.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    So you want to use march drums in a non march situation? If this is the case, play whatever you want. March drums work really nice when building something up dynamically. If everything is nice and quiet and a march is below everything and you bring everyones volume up and... well it's cool.

5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    doesn't alot of fleetwood mack stuff have marching style drums in it? or was that just my imagination