Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marchlewski Due Soon!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SharkB8, Sep 8, 2004.

1. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    So, after my original post in late May (with an albeit cryptic word-play title.. "March.. in May?"), I've decided to re-post with my final specs, progress pics and such, pulled into one thread.

Here are the FINAL specs of my bass due in the next few weeks:

Singlecut 6 string
    35" Scale
    Hipshot style A, Black hardware.
    Crotch Myrtle Top, Swamp Ash body
    Flame Maple neck with Maccassar Ebony FB
    Ebony Accent b/t top and body and in the 5 piece neck
    Matching wood pup covers and nobs
    Nordstrand Fat Stack pups w/Aguilar OBP-3 pre

And now the pics!!!

2. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Top and Back woods

3. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
  4. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    body- without edge work....

5. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
  6. sweet. we all have wolfehollow to thank for bringing Jake's talents to TB. i will have a marchlewski. i know. get in line.

robb.

7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wow man, I really like that body shape. I can't wait to see how that one comes out.

8. That's the sort of shape I have had in mind for a custom fretless - I love the smaller upper horn, compared to those giant slabs you see on a lot of single cutaways. I am definitely interested in one of these basses, but with two new (well, used) basses on their way it will have to wait! Hopefully the demand won't push up prices and cut me out of the loop before I get around to ordering one...

9. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Evo...
    Same here. If all goes well and the sound is what I'm looking for, I'm gonna have to beg, borrow and steal to order a fretless before Jacob gets too busy! So far it looks stellar, and from tone reports of other Marchlewksi customers, I think I'm on the right track.

10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    *Oh* *my* *god*. I love Marchlewskis. Amazing instruments! Something mentioned something about how Jacob Marchlewski is amazing, considering he's fairly young/inexperienced compared to fellows like Roger Sadowsky, Mike Pedulla, etc. etc. Just how young is this fellow? He's doing some amazing work.

11. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    He's early 20's...very early...from what I gather (I may be wrong). He's done some amazing work so far in a variety of disciplines (acoustic guitars, basses, etc.) and seems to have a boatload of natural talent from what I can see. He takes on projects that most luthiers wouldn't touch, and is very detailed and thoughtful in his approach. He's crazy good (from the pics I've seen, he's got this dragon inlay thing on his site that's totally wild), esp for his age. Not that it should make a difference, think of all the child prodigy's running around with degrees at 13 or chops that'd put any "A" list player to shame.

Some people just have a god given talent for things.

Others have to work at it.

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario

Wow.

That's really impressive. I can't imagine what amazing works of art he'll be crafting later in life. Check out the "Cube" bass on his site -- it's totally, absolutely, and intensely wild. God given talent indeed.

13. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Amen.

14. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    You should see this acoustic hes making for a friend... with its fanned frets... :)

Ill get a shot of that when its finished...

Heres the dragon inlay going in on an acoustic soundboard...

I am very grateful that I found someone 20 minutes from my house that makes great instruments... talk about luck. Now I dont have to injure myself making my own basses... :)

15. Shark,
    That bass is REALLY looking sharp! I love the fingerboard! What kind of finish are you going to have on it? Oil, satin, gloss/poly?

:eyebrow:

16. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    I left it mostly to Jacob's discretion, but I did want a "protective" finish, I think I mentioned a poly finish....I've gotta look back at my spec sheet.

17. Hey all,
    Any word from Jacob? How soon is "soon" on this bass, ESPECIALLY with Hurricane Ivan coming? Radar looks like it's hitting the Florida panhandle.

Hope he's okay. :meh: