Marco Bass Guitars Suffers Shop Fire

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MG514, Mar 14, 2022.

Tags:
  1. MG514

MG514

Feb 25, 2015
    Auburn WA
  2. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I had talked with him on Thursday about a custom bass build.
    So very sorry to hear this news.

Spidey2112 and Passinwind like this.
  3. Eneade

Eneade

Jun 14, 2008
    France
    So sad.

A scary pockets clip with a Marco bass :

4. Sonicblaze

Sonicblaze Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 11, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Pedalnetics
    I saw this, mainly as there seems to be donation pages setup that multiple Facebook groups are sharing. The GoFundMe has over $7k already, which had me curious (in no judging, non-negative, purely curiousity way since I've been luckily and never dealt with a fire):

Why is this a donation thing, and not just an insurance claim? I was thinking maybe co-pay assistance, but the $10k goal seemed extremely high for that.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  5. MG514

MG514

Feb 25, 2015
    Auburn WA
    That's a good point. Isn't his shop in Brazil? Curious if insurance works differently there. Either way, there is a lot of things insurance does not cover in a fire.

6. Sometimes it can take a long time to get a payout from insurance too. If this is his sole source of income the $10k could be just to get him by until the insurance money comes in and he can start generating revenue again.

7. Sonicblaze

Sonicblaze Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 11, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Pedalnetics
    Ahh there we go, that was the thought I was missing! That'd make a lot of sense if it was a main-source-of-income that is no longer there. I can't even imagine how long it'd take to rebuild a guitar-building shop even with insurance payout next-day.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Marco’s shop is in Dallas Oregon, about an hour south of Portland. I’m not going to speculate on insurance coverage, but I spent some time in his shop two weeks ago on one of my regular visits and there were a lot of historical builds, a bunch of stuff in progress for NAMM in early June, a huge stash of killer wood, and a whole lot of homemade tooling. The biggest loss is going to be time, and the current parts supply issues are definitely going to bring challenges too.

9. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    On Sunday I visited a friend of mine's place to help me with a component swap on a bass. This friend is a semi-professional luthier (i.e. he sells his very high quality guitars but hasn't done much to make it a business) with a nice stash of very cool wood planks, tops, boards, etc. He was showing me his stash and commenting on how hard it had been to find quality pieces of ziricote, birdseye maple and even nice pieces of more common woods like varieties of ash. He said that supply has been limited, demand seems to have stayed the same or increased, and as such the scarcity is increasing prices and leading to long delivery times if you can even find a piece of what you're looking for. I suspect Marco will have an uphill battle resolving that particular issue when he's back in business. An insurance claim or a Gofundme page can help ease things like lost income, rebuilding of property, purchasing commercially available tools, etc. but the money can't replace things that aren't available. A lot of Marco's stash of wood will be irreplaceable and for someone building instruments of this caliber that loss is devastating.

AudioTaper, WG Plum, Haroldo and 3 others like this.
  10. On another note, anyone waiting on a roasted maple neck is in luck.

Marco-Bass-Guitars-Fire-1200x677.jpg

Too soon?

MOD EDIT:
    Wow, what some people will do for a cheap laugh. This is in poor taste for sure, but doesn't exactly violate a rule best I can tell. I'm leaving your post up because perhaps your fellow members will appreciate knowing who you are.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2022
    scubaduba and JamesDeGrandis like this.
  11. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Yes. Too soon.

AudioTaper, MG514, Selta and 5 others like this.
  12. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    That photo will break your heart.

Haroldo and LBS-bass like this.
  13. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    That is extremely NOT cool :rollno: :rage:

MG514, scubaduba, WG Plum and 4 others like this.
  14. TyBo

TyBo

Dec 12, 2014
    Gallows humor ...

15. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Marco has good friends here; it's sad to see jokes being posted at his expense. I'm very sorry to hear about this and hope that the bass community will pitch in with some significant help as he's going to need a lot of support after this devastation.

Jim C, WG Plum, Haroldo and 4 others like this.
  16. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    This is really sad. Very talented maker. Would not wish this on anyone.

AudioTaper likes this.
  17. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Yes. Not cool.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. It always pays to at least "act like you know".

Clark W and TNCreature like this.
  18. porterbass

porterbass

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Why would you post this comment? What the f?

the baint, TNCreature and Adam Wright like this.
  19. This makes me consider the merits of a Shou Sugi Ban finish on a bass....
    Maybe just the wings...
    I'm not trying to be insensitive either... that's something I am yet to see.
    Who is good enough to pull that off?