Marcus Miller 4, G&L L2000 or Lakland Daryll Jones?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lorenzini, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Similar sounds? All relatively similar in cost right?

Well, whats the best bass for the money/what are the different features and your personal pro's/con's for these basses?

I'm looking at 4 bangers basically. Any other recommendations would go over well, too.

I play mostly jazz/funk/r&b :bassist: :D
  2. Lorenzini, The Marcus Miller 4 i've seen brand new for under $600.00 at Guitar Center, at times. The Daryl Jones, and G&L are the much more costlier of the three.

You play bass now too? I attended Jeff Berlin's 10 week Players School of Music (summer of 2004) with you and remember you as the only piano guy at the school. With no disrespect to Jeff's ciriculum for his students, after 7 weeks i decided to bounce.

I am soo much happier now studying with a private teacher back home and am being helped to give the attention to areas in which i'm deficient in. (Because i'm well aware that those ensemble rooms can easily turn into an all out Bass shoot Out)
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I believe the G&L will be the more versatile of those three, and the fit and finish will be better than the Fender. The construction of my Lakland Skyline JO is on a par with the G&L, so I assume the DJ would be as well. L2000 can be had for less used, as well.

One thing you need to ask yourself is how important a jazz-width neck is. Both the Fender and Lakland will be jazz-width, and L2000s are occasionally found with the 1 1/2" width but they are few and far between. They tend to vary widely in weight as well.

If you can find an L2000 with a jazz neck and reasonable weight, you'd get a helluva lot of bass for the money. And no, it won't sound just like the other'll get close. But it'll also get tones that the other two can't get close to. MFDs are some of the fattest bass pickups out there.
  4. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hey Fountainboy

Whats your real name? and yeah I play bass now as well. I'm gigging around Clearwater/Tampa on piano but I love the bass so much, so... yeah :D

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like it too much, to each his own, I totally understand. The "bass shootout" was very interesting. I found it very entertaining actually.

Anyways on my offtime I am learning bass. Fun:]]
  5. Lorenzini, my real name is Chrishawn, but Jeff would always call me Shawnieboy, as he does his own son. I played the Warwick Thumb 5 string and always took my ensemble class with Richard Thomas (The older gentleman and Thomas with the Louisianna accent, dude played his butt off)

Initially, i enjoyed the classes with Larue and Peter Mongoya but i felt kinda mislead in coming to that School, as the information i would've like to of have recieved was in later semesters (modes, approach notes to chord tones, shapes, triad on triads etc..) Realistically, if you're not a Floridian, taking 80 weeks outta someones life to study at the Players School can work a real financial hardship on a person and his or her family. Each 10 week semester totaled around $3200 and that's not including trying to maintain a place to stay. (How Hippie and Vito do it is unreal?)

Oh, and having to run for dear life from Hurricane Charlie was'nt too cool either.
  6. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah dude, Hippie and Vito do it pretty well though.. Ive asked them if they wanted to move back to where they are from. Nah, they say. They like it down here and its nice livin'. So if you come to live here, get a job, it can be a bit easier.

They still have their band together, Ghetto Onion. I should be starting up pretty soon with them (its a blast playing that stuff).

For some reason I don't remember Thomas. Did I ever play in any ensembles with you? Either way, best of luck to you man.

Wasn't the hurricane fun??? :oops:

Edit: Hey, come to think of it. I remember Richard. Louisiana accent got to me, I recall that now. Yeah he was a good bass player.
  7. Lorenizini, Richard and myself were the only two afro americans at the school. :D Richard was the older retired gentleman (in fact, he retired as a New York City Corrections Officer, and boy was he funny, but cursed like a sailor) I was the younger guy and me and you always spoke briefly on several occasions as i awaited the ensemble class finishing up by the bathroom. I drove the silver Volkswagon Beetle. You mighta seen me rush out as i took a job delivering pizzas at Dominos in Palm Harbor off of U.S 19 and went from school, to home and then off to work in the evenings (when i was'nt worshiping on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Jehovah's Witness)

We never had you on the keys in our class as it was 99.9% always Matt or Larue. You were evidently on a more sophisticated playing level and just played with Hippie, Vito, Bryan, the dude that looked like Justin Timberlake, and the dude with the connecting eyebrows from Vermont.

Ghetto Onion almost trashed the Condo my roomate and i rented as those dudes rehearsed at our spot once, East Woodlake Woodlands ( My roomate was the drummer, Bryan, Vito and Hippie) and left like 40 beer bottles the next morning. Some wild cats indeed. :hyper: Wish ya'll the best!

Florida just was'nt for me. I felt like all the soul was being sucked outta me down there and i missed my family and friends immensely, where i belong, back home.
  8. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Anyways back to my original question..

Friendly bump.

Anyone else help me out?
  9. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    The G&L is really a mother of a bass that in my opinion, would be foolish to modify since those mfd's and factory pre-amp do the job and then some.... only drawback for those is the pickups aren't blendable, and as mchildree said, finding the jazz width neck, I also enjoy the comfort of a pickguard for my wandering fingers as I'm not the best slapper out there yet. The Miller has the advantage of having an entire pre-routed pre-amp compartment so you can fit various pre-amps in, the DJ would have to be gouged out for a pre of your choice, unless you get a j-retro which are made for both the MM and DJ, or an Aguilar db-924 outboard pre-amp which should make all three basses sound like monsters. All three great basses, you can't go wrong no matter which you choose. A search will help you out tons.