Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric1977, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Eric1977

Eric1977

Jan 19, 2005
    Ireland
    Hi Everyone,
    I am new to the forum, and pretty new to bass playing too . . .! I have a question for anyone out there that owns a MM 4 / 5 . .

"I received my new MM yesterday and to be honest i am a little worried by the static i am picking up when i am using the active control . . .(switch up). It seems excessive, i use a cheap lead that i am going to replace this weekend but was wondering if any of you guys have experienced the same thing . . .?

Would the lead be making it worse, i understand that the more expensive leads cut out a lot of the static . . .?

There is also static when i have one pick up onand one off . . .sorry if i am not clear, this is my foirst decent bass and i really joined this forum to learn some stuff!

Thanks for any help!!
    Eric :bassist:

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Buy a decent cord and don't worry about the hum you get from the pups, all jazz basses do that. It's called 60 cycle hum. try not to practice next to a tv set, computer or the like or just put both volumes at the same level. Oh congrtas on the Marcus Miller bass and welcome to the club!

3. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    Hey Eric1977

I have an MMV and notcied was getting really excessive static when rehearsing at home. I soon found out that it was halogen lighting casuing this. When I switched these light off it went.

Agreed though that using a decent cable will stop some of it.

4. Eric1977

Eric1977

Jan 19, 2005
    Ireland
    Hi,
    Thanks for all your help! Only found this forum today but will be sticking around for sure!
    Was a bit worried about the MM bass and thought something was up, but now that you mention it I was playing it close to the TV / Hi Fi and the Amp . . .and as you say the lead effects it too!

Ok, that puts my mind at ease for now . . . .

Slàinte!

Eric

5. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    I have also heard some guys taking those anti static cloths you put in a tumble dryer and slipping one between the body and the pickguard.

Don't know how effective this is but have heard it mentioned a few times

6. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Hey Eic

Conas atá tú?

7. Eric1977

Eric1977

Jan 19, 2005
    Ireland
    A chara,
    Tà me go maith! An bhfuil to go maith, ca bhfuil tu i do gconai?

8. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Per Rodger Gee of Mike Lull guitars, I added copper shielding tape to the entire back of the pick guard of my Benavente Vintage Vortex. The static is now GONE!! I made it double thick around the pickup cut out.

KT

9. swampash

swampash

Dec 13, 2004
    i just got a MM too!!!! a great deal on a new/used 4 month old MM off eBay, and the previous owner must not of had any idea what they were doing, the neck flying backward and strings wrapped around the tuning pegs like 3 year old strung it. after setting it up the neck and action properly and jamming with it the last few days, i have no complaints - and have noticed no Hum at all, I’m using a thick gauge (monster cable performer 500) cable and going through a fender bassman 25. hope this doesn’t happen when i plug it into my SVT4. the copper shielding sounds effective guess ill try that if something happens :D

10. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    One important issue to note on the MM's is that unlike most active basses the battery is NOT engaged when it's plugged in or not. The jack does not control active/passive modes, the mini-toggle does.

Make sure you throw the mini-toggle to passive mode even if you unplug the bass otherwise the batttery will continue to drain.

I found that one out the hard way. :scowl:

11. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I thought Fender fixed that? I never had that problem on mine - when I owned it.

12. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    They may have, I haven't had one in a few years.

13. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Try Sheilding the pup Cavities.

14. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Tá mé i mo gconai sa Corcaigh.Et toi?

Wait a second..... ;)

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    That happened to me when I bought my MM bass. There is a wiring modification for the slightly older MM basses that had that problem, this mod also allows the bass to be played in "true" passive bypass mode and not through a flat pre-amp. Earlier MM basses I believe would not play without the battery and I hear the new ones do so it is possible Fender did address this problem. Since this mod to my bass I have not changed the battery in over a year. granted I don't play this bass a whole hellava lot the battery is still gig ready fresh regardless of leaving the pre-amp on.

16. Eric1977

Eric1977

Jan 19, 2005
    Ireland
    Chill Mhàntain!

17. Eric1977

Eric1977

Jan 19, 2005
    Ireland
    sorry - again! also, regardless of passive or active mode i still get "hum" when i have one pickup turned off and one on . . .not too bad in passive but worse oin activve . . . is this normal for active circuitary . . . never ownd an active bass before!!
    Cheers!

18. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    Invest in some copper shielding tape and line all of the electronics cavities including pickup slots, wire valleys and back of the pickguards.

KT

19. jbird

jbird

Jun 10, 2004
    Southern California
    I encountered the same problems with my MM4 & as a previous poster mentioned, it's commonly known as the "60 cycle hum" -- which you get with single coil pups. I took my MM into the luthier to have the electronics shielded & after doing so, it still did not fix the problem. Another solution that you may consider is using a noise-gate.

20. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Turn both pickups all the way up. Away goes the 60 cycle hum. It's not anything to be worried about. All Jazz Basses do that.