1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marcus Miller 5 anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Aug 15, 2007.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with a Marcus Miller 5? It seems that the price is nearly double what the 4 string goes for and I'm wondering if its worth the price or if I'd be better off saving up a few more bucks and getting a Lull or Sadowsky Metro. Thanks in advance!

2. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    Do a search there was a great review with pics and soundclips (I think). IIRC the person loved it. Price is higher b/c it's MIA btw.

3. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    i ve got the 4 and the 5 version
    i realy began to play bass with the 4 and i got used to play it and especially with the pick up cover.
    so after owning a fodera and a f bass I found myself not happy with these basses.
    so I decided to have a bass that would be close to my marcus miller 4 so I went naturally to the 5 string version
    and what I have to say is that it is a great bass, the sound is so organic and great , it's a dream to slap this bass.
    the neck finish is great and so comfortable
    the preamp is good but you have a great tone by using it passive (but no passive tone control so you've got to tweak your amp settings)
    so if you like it go for it or , no don't buy it lol and i'll be the only one to have it aaaaaaaaah

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I picked up one recently, and was very pleasantly surprised.

Great neck, reasonable weight (9.5 lbs), great sound. The electronics are a little bit noisy, the preamp not the single coils, which was slightly disappointing given the cost. My favourite sound with it is the neck pickup backed off slightly and about 40% bass boost.

I see you're in Yonkers, if you come to JC Fogartys in Bronxville on Sep 7th you'll see me playing it :)

5. lovemybasses

lovemybasses

Mar 4, 2007
    I had MM 4 sometime ago, loved it at the begining, but very soon I become disapointed - feel and sound wasnt there. Recently I tried MM 5(USA) and it was pretty different - it has better preamp, its just better made and it feels/sounds way beter and more serious, so to speak, than 4 (Japan made).