1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marcus Miller 5 conversion to VBTT

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Al Bass, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Al Bass

Al Bass

Jan 11, 2004
    Lake Worth, Fl
    I want to convert my Marcus Miller 5 to V/B/T/T while still being connected to the onboard preamp. I want the bass to be more versatile and I'm exploring options such as the John East Marcus preamp and I never really cared for the no tone passive control feature.

I absolutely love the way the bass feels but I sound-wise, I've always struggle to get the sound I wanted which is a fat round punchy tone but not overly bright (as the Marcus is!). Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. EtoBb

EtoBb

Nov 27, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I'm confused by the two T's.

Volume/Blend/Tone/Tone?

I'm in a similar boat as you. I'd like to have a passive tone knob on my marcus miller bass.

Maybe Volume/blend/tone/stacked treble & bass?

I don't know the best way to get this passive tone knob, but it needs to happen.

3. Al Bass

Al Bass

Jan 11, 2004
    Lake Worth, Fl
    I installed a EMG system in my old jazz bass and I especially loved the single volume setup. I've found several schematics online on the vol-blend-tone(bass)-tone(treble) setup and when I've got a break in our band schedule, I'm going to give it a go and do some s'perimenting. I mean, how hard could it be?