Marcus Miller 5 string signature / japan

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassplayer60, Apr 14, 2003.

1. I'm looking around for a Marcus Miller Signature
    5 string that was built in Japan.

I think it's Fender Japan / Sadowsky internal
    electronics. I'm not quite sure on the specs.

I've played a 4 string model, which sounds great
    but am looking to find a 5 string.

I also heard that Fender Japan / is no longer putting
    out that model. Rumored that Fender US
    took the line over,am not sure.

Thanks in advance
  2. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    The guy at my local Bass shop told me the 5 was being made in the U.S.
  3. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    Just want to clarify that Fender Marcus Miller models do NOT contain Sadowsky electronics.

Roger Sadowsky
  4. Is it just me, or does anybody else think it's odd to call this bass, or the Joe Osborn Signature 5 string bass a "Signature" model? These guys played 4 string basses, no?

I thought the point of a signature model was to be a replica of a classic instrument down to its last detail. I should think the number of strings would be a pretty big difference, especially since it affects all kinds of things like the size of the neck and radius, etc.
  5. Do yourself a favor and check out a Sadowsky Tokyo 5 string model.
  6. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    You're absolutely right Rob W., both cats played four string Fender Jazz Basses. Marcus later picked up 5s in other models, but I believe that Joe Osborn stayed with the 4 string.

Not only did Joe exclusively play a 4, he played it with a pick and dead-dead-dead flat wounds. but that's how he got his great tone.

I find it almost amusing that many of us (me included) bought a Joe Osborn 5 so that we could slap and pop the funk on it, and with round wounds strings!!! I really enjoy the slap tone and finger style tone of my Skyline JO 5.