Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus Miller 5 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rbud2003, Nov 15, 2004.

1. rbud2003

rbud2003

Feb 21, 2003
    I've been thinking about making a jump to a 5 string. I really like the mojo of 70s Jazz basses. (I have a Fender special edition 70s reissue Jazz bass) From what I've read about this bass, it is supposed to be close to a 70s Jazz sound and feel except it is a 5 string.

I have not found any of these basses to try and a search for comments on this bass are a bit old. Are there any new comments to share about this bass?

Thanks

2. d_money

d_money

Jun 13, 2004
    well do you have either a samash or guitar center near you, because those are the only two places that i have seen them at where i live.

3. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I did get to play one and it sounded real good to me however I wouldn't say that it really has the in your face growl like my 74 Jazz bass,but with that being said it is a damn good axe that can hold its own with a lot of damn good high-end basses (hell,a real good engineer can make anything sound good no matter what type of bass you have)IMO and the neck has the asymetrical thing going for it,so it is very comfortable

ps.My Church will be purchasing one for me. :hyper:

4. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I think it's too expensive for what you get. I don't know where you're from, but here in Europe it's gonna cost you around 2000 euro. That's definitely too much. IMHO it is not really a versatile bass and the details should be better. (fretwork for instance)

5. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I like it allot. Get it.

6. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I have one. Shortly after I got it I put a review in Gear Review section. I have since purchased a Sadowsky which is a better bass IMHO (and twice the price ) but the MM5 is still a great bass. I think it feels as good as the Sadowsky but I am just getting the Sad dialed in to my liking. I had considered putting the Sadowsky pups and preamp in it but I still don't think it would sound as good as the Sadowsky. If you are looking for the Marcus tone the MM5 definitley has it. If you are looking for the vintage vibe it has that in spades. I disagree with the earlier poster about fretwork and finish. My MM5 looks great. The inlaid fret markings are beautifully done. IN fact I like the looks of the MM better than my Sad but I do like the tone possibilities of the Sad much more.

Here is mine.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149329&highlight=Marcus

7. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Perhaps I got a bad bass by chance, but I talked to another guy who agreed with me. Hopefully it works for you well anyway!

8. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    My Sadowsky works for me. I have to sell the MM5 to pay of GAS debt.

9. Since you're looking for the '70s Jazz sound and vibe in a 5-string, another option is Sadowsky Tokyo. There's one on eBay right now. I've seen them sell on the used market for well under $1500 -- less than the price of a new MM5 IIRC.

10. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    exspensive.well,maybe however please explain the not VERSATILE thing for me.....please :eyebrow:.I've played 5 of them and the Fret work was superb on all those.Maybe you played a bad one(we are talking about Fender here folks)But then you may not have.